how-to restore your headlight lenses.

slowpoke

i checked out the kits they have at autozone and then went to the ford paint shop to get further advice. the kits that autozone have will work but for better results your better off getting your own supplies and building your own kit. you can use either cloth backed or paper sand paper. i used paper due to it can soak up water better. here is what you need.
1000 grit
1500 grit
2000 grit
2500 grit
3000 grit
and 3m makes a great plastic cleaner in a black container.
a junk clean towel
cotton flannel type cloth

starting out, cut the sand paper into hand usable sizes to your comfort.
soak all the sand paper in water for atleast 10min before you start.
start with the 1000 grit, use a back and forth motion. keep water on the lens at all times during this entire process until its time to use the 3m. if you lens are discolored you will see a yellowish film build up as you sand, this is good. use the towel to wipe it away as it builds up. you will want to continue this process until you start to get a whitish film build up. you are now ready to continue unless you have some scratches that you wish to fix, then continue untill there are no scratches left.
the 1500-3000 grit is now to be used to resurface the lens. using the same back and forth motion sand on the lens for atleast 5 min up to 10 for ever size until until you done with the 3000 grit. still wipe away the whitish film that builds up.
once you have completed using all the size grits clean the lens completely using only water, warm is preferred. allow it to sit for about 15min to ensure it is fully dried.
once dry, use the instruction on the 3m bottle of plastic cleaner and the cotton type cloth. this will return the lens to a clear finish. pretty much you apply the 3m and rub it in until it dissipates.
i posted some pics to show what the average results will be.

Attachments

• DSCN0362.jpg
    DSCN0362.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN0368.jpg
    DSCN0368.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN0369.jpg
    DSCN0369.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
You know.. good old polishing compound does a fair job. It won't get them crystal clear, but it will take most of the haze off if you're in a hurry. :)

You know.. good old polishing compound does a fair job. It won't get them crystal clear, but it will take most of the haze off if you're in a hurry. :)

Only for a few months. If you use the compound, it should be after the 1500 and just prior to the polishing compond and polishing compound.

I used wet sand for like 1500 or 2500 i think. Then compounds and wax. Has worked for at LEAST two years on my minivan and about a year on the white car.

SWS

Back