Tranny swap

kneedragger25

So as I was working on my suspention today It got me wondering. I have an extra T-5 I got when My buddie sold me one for my 73 cougar T-5 swap. I left the other alone to see If I should rebuild and install the rebuilt one in my cougar. The cougar has a 351c and has over 300HP and torque and the T-5 is still running fine. I did have to replae the shifter to be able to use the stops so I dont end the shift forks. Both trannys were completes with bellhousing and rubber mountand shifter. So my question is I know the T-5 can handle well over its rating value(there is a guy running a BB torino with close to 500ft of torque and more horsepower than the mustang gts could dream. What modifications need to be made to get this to bolt up and go? Crossmember, driveshaft, shifter location,bellhousing/block plate. what the imbalance on this 3.8 32oz or 50 oz.? and what size flywheel? I got an extra 32oz 157t billet flywheel.

Stock T5's don't live long behind our motors which produce high torque numbers down in the low rpm area... otherwise Ford would have equipped our cars with the t5's in the first place.

Fraser

OK a t-5 is rated for 300ft and I can get the kit that would build a stock t5 into a t5z with thicker bearing retainers. That can with stand our motor. These things can be beefed up no one just doesnt do it so they over look this tranny. I see stock 5.0 running more power than out cars can make and yeah they dont last long if you abuse them but for everyday driving they work like they should. I dont dump the clutch and high rpms and that will extend the life. building to t5z specs will beef the lil t5 up. so with that said will this swap be easy? I know the tremec made a tranny off the t5 casing and suck so If anyone has installed a tremec what was needed to make this fit? so please lets move forward and get past the it wont last. I dont plan on years of service just get what I get.

alot of modding is needed be easyer to use m5r2 i've seen t5's run 8's built by dave percey in fl. at the fast ford shootout's

OK a t-5 is rated for 300ft and I can get the kit that would build a stock t5 into a t5z with thicker bearing retainers. That can with stand our motor. These things can be beefed up no one just doesnt do it so they over look this tranny. I see stock 5.0 running more power than out cars can make and yeah they dont last long if you abuse them but for everyday driving they work like they should. I dont dump the clutch and high rpms and that will extend the life. building to t5z specs will beef the lil t5 up. so with that said will this swap be easy? I know the tremec made a tranny off the t5 casing and suck so If anyone has installed a tremec what was needed to make this fit? so please lets move forward and get past the it wont last. I dont plan on years of service just get what I get.

Hey, I'm just trying to save you some grief but what ever.......

It can be made to work, and if you beefed up the T5, it could be made to last as well, but the question is why would you waste all the time and money rebuilding a T5, beefing it up, swapping it in, making a hydraulic clutch setup for it, extending the shifter, etc. when M5R2s are stronger, cheaper, a direct bolt-in swap, and have better gear ratios?

As for your question about balance, the 3.8SC is neutral balanced. If you are going to be running a T5, your best bet is to buy the ford racing flywheel with the removable weights, and just leave all the weights off.

t-5?

My #1 car is a 91 mustang gt running 10lbs boost from a vrtech. Every bolt on, on a stock block with ported heads. Completely redone suspension so it will hook. 360hp and 400ftlbs and the t-5 is still working perfect at 140k. I put in b&m trickshift ten yrs ago when I bought it. So the t-5 can take alot of abuse, but a major pain in the ~~~ to put in a bird

My #1 car is a 91 mustang gt running 10lbs boost from a vrtech. Every bolt on, on a stock block with ported heads. Completely redone suspension so it will hook. 360hp and 400ftlbs and the t-5 is still working perfect at 140k. I put in b&m trickshift ten yrs ago when I bought it. So the t-5 can take alot of abuse, but a major pain in the ~~~ to put in a bird

You still don't have the low end grunt and the weight these SC's have. You're talking that level of torque that comes on full blast at 2800rpm moving a 4000lb car. This is a root's blower, not a centrifigul blower.

Think about it, there was alot more availability of t5's than m5r2's which was a truck trans... if the t5's could take what these cars can do stock, it would have been a lot cheaper for Ford to use the t5's.

Folks thought like you and ended up seeing their T5 grenade at the track the first time out when dumping the clutch at 3000 or higher.

Fraser

Back