Does this look right?

Drummer

Picture of inside of crank shaft pulley. Is there supposed to be something like a screw head in this? I think this is not "normal" looking.

Attachments

• jan 2011 018.jpg
    jan 2011 018.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 196
bhj

Do you have bhj? Be careful when removing the bolt piece don't use
Cheap drillbids they break easy

Alright. Does anyone have a picture of how it SHOULD look? Checked the Haynes Manual and like every other look into that almost worthless thing I saw no pictures. And how does this come out? The car went blank coming come work last week. Had to flat bed it home. Wouldn't start then but started today after sitting on a charger all day. Made a wicked sound in the engine bay but shut it off quick before I could see or look at anything up front.

Splain "bhj" I'm blond.

bhj is the aftermarket harmonic balancer

if you car it won't run them your harmonic balancer went south .... a lot of work need to be done ... especially if this is your first time dealing with this...;)

bhj is the aftermarket harmonic balancer

if you car it won't run them your harmonic balancer went south .... a lot of work need to be done ... especially if this is your first time dealing with this...;)
The car runs. Turns right over. Just making a loud noise up front. Pablo94SC on this site said to go ahead and replace the balancer anyway seeing as how replacing the bolt would entail everything involved in replacing the balancer aside from actually pulling. If this picture I posted is a definite as to the absence of or the broke in half scenario then I would think replacing the balancer and with his advise, the crank sensor to while I was in the area.

Should have a 7/8" hex head and a big washer in there. You can kinda see it in this pic.
DSC07928.jpg

Here ya go.

Thanks so much. That picture is the coup de grâce. Looks like I have a bit of work ahead of me. Is there a bolt to replace the one that is broke off that is better than the OEM Bolt? If not if it's not to much of an inconvenience do you have a part number or the best place to get one? Thanks again...

What Cory said. supercoupeperformance.com Get a BHJ while you're at it. Hope your crank ain't broke too.

What Cory said. supercoupeperformance.com Get a BHJ while you're at it. Hope your crank ain't broke too.
Don't even say that...That means rebuild and that aint in Allen's budget. LOL. I have a balancer lined up from a link to a site from this site. I'll get the thing off and replace the balancer, take a shot of Quervo and start it up. The rest is a matter of luck.

Here is worst case senerio.:( I'll leave you with that. Going to bed. Mine didn't run at all like this. Cam didn't move.:cool:

Attachments

• crank1.jpg
    crank1.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 126
  • crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
hey guys can he use the mustang bolt or is that for the BHJ hb only i know its just a little bit longer then the stock bolt i got lucky and just the rubber broke on my hb and it didn't damage anything else.

NAPA, sell bolts the proper size and such 16x60 1.5 if memory serves. I have some longer ones for installing the blanacer from them.

I'd suggest Carbide drill, left handed if can get it and these extactors

Your going to need a new bolt, washer, balancer and crank sensor. The BHJ balancer mentioned earlier in this thread is an upgrade from the OEM balancer. The OEM balancer had an aluminum inner hub (part that goes on crank snout) and the BHJ unit uses a much stronger steel hub that won't deform. New OEM balancers have been out of production for several years, and that is why people mentioned buying the BHJ unit.

If you are replacing the balancer with a used one, you should expect to be making this repair again. Depending on how well it fits the crank and how closely balanced the unit is to what you removed, it could last 3 months or several years. Since the aluminum hub deforms to fit whatever crank it is installed on, chances of you finding one that fits tightly on your crankshaft are very slim.

The bolt head broke because the balancer is bad. The crank sensor needs to be replaced because when the balancer goes and starts wobbling, the reluctor wheel bolted to the back side of the balancer comes into contact with the sensor and causes physical damage (89-93 models). This is very likely the noise you are hearing while cranking the motor.

David

If you get a BHJ from Spinning Wheels they include a new longer bolt and washer for you. SCP does not offer a longer bolt.

You might get lucky and be able to screw the bolt remains out. Since it doesn't have a head on it anymore it isn't actually "tight" in there. If you have the opportunity to take the car to someone with a TIG welder they can also extract the bolt without damage. Be careful if you drill into the bolt, it is hardened steel. You'll need a good drill bit.

Hopefully the old balancer comes off in one piece also. :cool:

Oh, and if the crank was broken the motor would sound terrible and would not start at all.

Back