PDA

View Full Version : How many cars will be in the 9's & 10's

nickleman60
01-10-2011, 04:26 PM
My guess is going to be 2 in the 9's and 6 in the 10's.

kenewagner
01-10-2011, 04:32 PM
My guess is going to be 2 in the 9's and 6 in the 10's.

So are you going to name your picks?

neverfastenough
01-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Me, towing vining into the 9's

kenewagner
01-10-2011, 04:40 PM

Arent you suppose to get into the 11s first:rolleyes:

Ken

neverfastenough
01-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Ive just been sand bagging you fools:D

nickleman60
01-10-2011, 05:07 PM
So are you going to name your picks?

9's - Lazzo & Neibert in their V-8 rockets

10's - Leitem, Neibert, Vinning, Nickelman60, Keegan(V-8), Robert P(V-8). 7 if a turbo car can get down the track.........:rolleyes:

BLOWN38
01-10-2011, 06:07 PM

Way things are lookin you're prolly right.

kenewagner
01-10-2011, 07:01 PM

10's - Leitem, Neibert, Vinning, Nickelman60, Keegan(V-8), Robert P(V-8). 7 if a turbo car can get down the track.........:rolleyes:

I guess I will just be one of those slow mid 11 second cars:rolleyes: :D:D

Roadhawg
01-10-2011, 07:05 PM
I guess I will just be one of those slow mid 11 second cars:rolleyes: :D:D

I'm sure you are destined for the 10s........................

mellbutler
01-10-2011, 07:33 PM
hey i will be trilled to make it out of 14!

David Neibert
01-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Considering my track record for failing to reach reasonable goals in a timely manner, I think you are being very optimistic to put me in those categories.

David

kenewagner
01-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Considering my track record for failing to reach reasonable goals in a timely manner, I think you are being very optimistic to put me in those categories.

David

Most people feel you have, as casey says, done the work. Everyone is confident in you and your car;) Id bet you make it. Now another turbo car just has to do the work or quit chucking wood

Ken

neverfastenough
01-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Hey Ive done work. Im just not an automagic fan, and the funds to make a t56 and solid rear arnt in my pocket right now. But it will be definitely more shiny this year.

Corey

CMac89
01-11-2011, 07:07 PM
It's alright. I'll deal with the THCoA. Turbo Hater Club of America!!

Roadhawg
01-11-2011, 07:41 PM
It's alright. I'll deal with the THCoA. Turbo Hater Club of America!!

I'm not a Turbo hater, in fact I would like to do a twin turbo setup someday.

BLOWN38
01-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Not a turbo hater either... its just called a SUPER coupe for a reason.;)

CMac89
01-11-2011, 10:30 PM
I was pulling some legs! I think they call it a SuperCoupe for the same reason they called him SuperMan. One of them didn't have a supercharger. ;)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1046/878782971_4e583ee402.jpg

ricardoa1
01-12-2011, 09:14 AM
TurboCoupe guys.

David Neibert
01-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Not a turbo hater either... its just called a SUPER coupe for a reason.;)

So if you don't have a supercharger or a v6...then what is it ? I can't post what I call it, because it's against the rules, but it's initials are BB.

David

Roadhawg
01-12-2011, 09:29 AM
So if you don't have a supercharger or a v6...then what is it ? I can't post what I call it, because it's against the rules, but it's initials are BB.

David

Mine has a supercharger and a V6, I call mine a Mustang...... :rolleyes:

David Neibert
01-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Mine has a supercharger and a V6, I call mine a Mustang...... :rolleyes:

The state of MO and my insurance company still calls mine a Thunderbird SC.

David

Ira R.
01-12-2011, 12:43 PM
The state of MO and my insurance company still calls mine a Thunderbird SC.

David

As do I. It just fits into a slightly different class that's all. Thunderbirds come in all shapes and sizes; V8, V6SC, V6TC, V6SC w/NO2, etc....

The fact that we catagorize them by results, i.e. power or track time doesn't change that.

What does change that is trying to compare a 14 second car to a 11 second car straight up. Is David's car a SC? Sure it is. But mine certainly isn't in the same class as his anymore, so we need to stop arguing over what's a Thunderbird and what isn't. The comparision now is by power plant, or results. Otherwise we're comparing my neighbor's Mustang to John Force's because they're both Mustangs.

Ira

XR7 Dave
01-12-2011, 01:24 PM
As do I. It just fits into a slightly different class that's all.

Actually, with respect to the SC Shootout, it's not in a different class. Guys with V8's just don't want to play fair. :p

ricardoa1
01-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Whats a Police officer without his uniform.
Whats a Fireman without his uniform.
Whats a Boeing Jet if it had propellers.
Whats the rapper T-pain without autotune box.
Whats a SuperCoupe without a Supercharger.

They can all work and work well without the uniform or the jet ect. But it looses its core identity. TurboCoupe was the name given to the Fox birds on the principle that the powertrain was a turbocharged engine= TurboCoupe.
Ford took it a step further with the Supercoupe and because of prior association in the turbocoupe relating to the engine, one can pretty accurately assume the name SuperCoupe can also be associated with the fact that it carried a Supercharged Engine. Unlike other manufacturers associating the nameplate SuperCoupe as means to distinguish the cars capabilities, above lesser trimmed coupes in their line up or in the same class.

But Déjà vu. Once again on this topic.

RMV will always say SCs for all they know you have a stock 232 SC engine in your car, otherwise most states will not give you an inspection sticker.

CMac89
01-12-2011, 03:54 PM
I see what you're getting at. Superman actually DOES have a supercharger in his body and that's why they named him Superman instead of Turboman. Arnold Schwarzenegger was Turboman in Jingle All the Way and the only difference between the two superheroes is that one of them are alive still. Turboman.

They called him Superman because of the amazing power that he has, which is something that I gave my SuperCoupe. The way I see it, I actually turned it into a SuperCoupe!!

:)

kenewagner
01-12-2011, 03:58 PM
I see what you're getting at. Superman actually DOES have a supercharger in his body and that's why they named him Superman instead of Turboman. Arnold Schwarzenegger was Turboman in Jingle All the Way and the only difference between the two superheroes is that one of them are alive still. Turboman.

They called him Superman because of the amazing power that he has, which is something that I gave my SuperCoupe. The way I see it, I actually turned it into a SuperCoupe!!

You been drinking out of the stool again:rolleyes::D:D

Ken

kenewagner
01-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Whats a Police officer without his uniform.
Whats a Fireman without his uniform.
Whats a Boeing Jet if it had propellers.
Whats the rapper T-pain without autotune box.
Whats a SuperCoupe without a Supercharger.

RMV will always say SCs for all they know you have a stock 232 SC engine in your car, otherwise most states will not give you an inspection sticker.

Whats a Policeman without his uniform. (A undercover cop)
Whats a fireman without his uniform. (A flasher???)
Whats a Boeing jet if it had propellers. (A toy made in China)
Whats the rapper T-Pain without a autobox.( Vanilla Ice??)
Whats a SuperCoupe without a Supercharger. (A boat anchor??)

This is kindof a fun game, got any more:rolleyes::D:D

Ken

Ira R.
01-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Whats a Policeman without his uniform. (A undercover cop)
Whats a fireman without his uniform. (A flasher???)
Whats a Boeing jet if it had propellers. (A toy made in China)
Whats the rapper T-Pain without a autobox.( Vanilla Ice??)
Whats a SuperCoupe without a Supercharger. (A boat anchor??)

This is kindof a fun game, got any more:rolleyes::D:D

Ken

^^^ you're killing me here.... :D

Ira

ricardoa1
01-12-2011, 04:13 PM

Valid arguement, but Turboman blows at being a Governor.

CMac89
01-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Valid arguement, but Turboman blows at being a Governor.
That's what turbos do! T-Pain isn't a rapper, by the way. He's a terrible excuse for an R&B singer.

ricardoa1
01-12-2011, 04:54 PM
He is a pretty good sailor. And hes got them Flippie Flopies.

http://www.musicskins.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/-/t-pain-boat-artwork-thumbnail.jpg

S_Mazza
01-12-2011, 06:07 PM
He is a pretty good sailor. And hes got them Flippie Flopies.

Never thought he'd be on this board ... Never thought I'd see the day... :p

BLOWN38
01-12-2011, 11:03 PM
The way I see it, I actually turned it into a SuperCoupe!!

MAYBE on a dyno. And it still didn't live there.:p

XR7Kurt
01-13-2011, 12:03 AM
TurboCoupe was the name given to the Fox birds on the principle that the powertrain was a turbocharged engine= TurboCoupe.
Ford took it a step further with the Supercoupe and because of prior association in the turbocoupe relating to the engine, one can pretty accurately assume the name SuperCoupe can also be associated with the fact that it carried a Supercharged Engine.

The TurboCoupe line of thinking could also be used against the idea that the "Super" in Super Coupe means supercharged. Turbo is short for turbocharger but I've never heard anyone shorten supercharger to just super.:p Maybe it could have been a Blower Coupe instead.:rolleyes:

CMac89
01-13-2011, 12:24 AM
MAYBE on a dyno. And it still didn't live there.:p

Haha...If you see spring time anywhere, tell him I'm looking for him!

Dirtyd0g
01-13-2011, 01:04 AM
The TurboCoupe line of thinking could also be used against the idea that the "Super" in Super Coupe means supercharged. Turbo is short for turbocharger but I've never heard anyone shorten supercharger to just super.:p Maybe it could have been a Blower Coupe instead.:rolleyes:

Could be shortened to a whiner!
Alan

David Neibert
01-13-2011, 09:34 AM
I like both flavors.

David

EECDOC
01-15-2011, 05:55 PM
I feel so left out. :cool:

CurtisPaulfrey
01-15-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm looking for 9s on one kit but I'll have both stages ready to go in case it spins. 150 shot at 1.5 sec and another 125 on the 1-2 shift. :cool:

nickleman60
01-15-2011, 07:34 PM

Do you plan on attending this year? If I knew you would have definitely been on my list.

I should change the title of this thread to "How many V-6's will be in the 9's or 10's". Now we have a 434 ci SC that says he'll be in the 9's. IMO all of the V-8 cars should be in the 9's and 10's, it's the V-6's that amaze me the most..........:D

CurtisPaulfrey
01-16-2011, 08:13 AM
IMO all of the V-8 cars should be in the 9's and 10's, it's the V-6's that amaze me the most..........:D

:rolleyes:

With the IRS and a 8 or 9 inch tire Anything in the 9s is decent.

David Neibert
01-16-2011, 10:18 AM

Mike,

I really hope you make it this year. BTW, I heard your car has got gotten a lot quicker since the last time I've seen it race.

David

PS: Thanks for selling me that DS loop, it worked great.

1MTNCAT
02-28-2011, 12:55 AM

No kiddin. How soon they forget what a lil 281 V8/Little Allen SC set up has been doing for the past 8 years.

:cool:

XR7 Dave
02-28-2011, 08:26 AM
No kiddin. How soon they forget what a lil 281 V8/Little Allen SC set up has been doing for the past 8 years.

:cool:

Why you keep sayin "lil"? It's bigger than the rest of us. :confused::p

1MTNCAT
02-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Why you keep sayin "lil"? It's bigger than the rest of us. :confused::p

True! But if it weren't for the two additional cylinders it would be smaller. A 210 incher to be exact. So if we actually had 7 cylinders displacement would be really close. :D

But thats ok! ;)

1MTNCAT
03-03-2011, 04:00 PM
SC piston/rod on left, 4.6L piston/rod on right.

;)

Luckily we just have more cylinders LOL!

XR7 Dave
03-03-2011, 04:17 PM
SC piston/rod on left, 4.6L piston/rod on right.

;)

Luckily we just have more cylinders LOL!

That's like saying a Ferrari is lil because it has 12 tiny cylinders. 5.0 is 5.0 in my book. Also, that 281ci has a pretty big twin screw on it last time I looked.

I don't think anyone is little, and big is just a misconception. If a 2.0L makes 15psi then it's technically a 4.0L. An 8.0L that makes 50% VE is only a 4.0L when it comes right down to it. With nitrous we should measure "displacement" based on how much fuel it uses. Hmmmmmm..... :p

1MTNCAT
03-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I suppose if you consider a 2.3 blower? at 15-17lbs of boost big on that V8 then it is what it is. But I hear there are some running that much on the V6's or more.

I wouldn't know, I run mine NA and with the shot. I have no boost therefore I'm a sitting duck for a built up V6 with huge blower/Boost and or with 2 power adders.

Care to disagree with that? ;)

BLOWN38
03-03-2011, 10:33 PM
I suppose if you consider a 2.3 blower? at 15-17lbs of boost big on that V8 then it is what it is. But I hear there are some running that much on the V6's or more.

I wouldn't know, I run mine NA and with the shot. I have no boost therefore I'm a sitting duck for a built up V6 with huge blower/Boost and or with 2 power adders.

You are injecting air from a pressurized bottle. And its a whole lot easier for you to inject more if you want.;)

XR7 Dave
03-03-2011, 10:48 PM

No, like I said lets compare fuel usage to determine who's got the bigger motor.

4.6L on 17psi = 9.8L with OHC advantage.

3.8L on 24psi = 9.8L with pushrod tehnology.

I call it a draw displacement wise. :p Chris, you need to run 10.30's. Get cracking.

1MTNCAT
03-03-2011, 11:17 PM
You are injecting air from a pressurized bottle. And its a whole lot easier for you to inject more if you want.;)

That may be true but you must take into consideration that doesn't apply to me. Up to this point and the numbers I've run, I've still been running totally stock parts, bottom end, heads and cams, with only a 125 dry shot.

Sure I could throw a 175 shot on it but just how long do you think that would last?

With forged stuff, ported heads and aftermarket cams sure, I could put more to it. Then things could get really exciting! :D

Dave, whats the calculations for displacement with a stock 3.8 with blower at stock 15# of boost?

XR7 Dave
03-04-2011, 12:01 AM
That may be true but you must take into consideration that doesn't apply to me. Up to this point and the numbers I've run, I've still been running totally stock parts, bottom end, heads and cams, with only a 125 dry shot.

Sure I could throw a 175 shot on it but just how long do you think that would last?

With forged stuff, ported heads and aftermarket cams sure, I could put more to it. Then things could get really exciting! :D

Dave, whats the calculations for displacement with a stock 3.8 with blower at stock 15# of boost?

A 3.8L with 15# boost = 7.6L, or double displacement since it's running at 2x atmosphere pressure (more or less). Your 4.6L makes what - 200rwhp on motor? The 125hp shot probably equals what, 100hp at the wheels? That works out to about 7L of SOHC fury. Since nitrous is always going to be more efficient than any form of boost (no parasitic losses or heat penalties), I think it all pretty much evens out.

Anyway, the way I see it cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure. If a stock 4.6L can't handle a 175 shot then it's pretty wimpy. The stock SC motor will run at 400rwhp for a long time. So the SC motor is small, and strong. Whereas the 4.6L is small, and wimpy.

1MTNCAT
03-04-2011, 09:20 AM
A 3.8L with 15# boost = 7.6L, or double displacement since it's running at 2x atmosphere pressure (more or less). Your 4.6L makes what - 200rwhp on motor? The 125hp shot probably equals what, 100hp at the wheels? That works out to about 7L of SOHC fury. Since nitrous is always going to be more efficient than any form of boost (no parasitic losses or heat penalties), I think it all pretty much evens out.

Anyway, the way I see it cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure. If a stock 4.6L can't handle a 175 shot then it's pretty wimpy. The stock SC motor will run at 400rwhp for a long time. So the SC motor is small, and strong. Whereas the 4.6L is small, and wimpy.

My stock parts 4.6L dynoed at 250+ WHP = 13.19 ET Naturally aspirated, 350 WHP on the 125 dry shot = 11.89 ET.
A 4.6L is whimpy cause it will not take a 175 shot with the cast pistons and powdered rods. It surely would take out the ring lands or break the rods. Again, I wouldn't even attempt to run more than a 125 shot on a stock set up. I've seen plenty of mustangs over the years try to run more and take the engines out. Mine lasted a long, long time on the well monitored 125 dry shot. I believe Ford also recommended no more than 6 lbs boost on a stock 4.6L application early on due to the bottom end.

Doesn't the bottom end of the SC's have forged pistons?

XR7 Dave
03-04-2011, 09:53 AM
My stock parts 4.6L dynoed at 250+ WHP = 13.19 ET Naturally aspirated, 350 WHP on the 125 dry shot = 11.89 ET.
A 4.6L is whimpy cause it will not take a 175 shot with the cast pistons and powdered rods. It surely would take out the ring lands or break the rods. Again, I wouldn't even attempt to run more than a 125 shot on a stock set up. I've seen plenty of mustangs over the years try to run more and take the engines out. Mine lasted a long, long time on the well monitored 125 dry shot. I believe Ford also recommended no more than 6 lbs boost on a stock 4.6L application early on due to the bottom end.

Doesn't the bottom end of the SC's have forged pistons?

11.89 is really good for 350rwhp so I have to give you that. SC's have cast pistons, nothing special there. Jason out in NH was running 11.6's on his stock bottom end SC motor with 15psi + 75Hp until his car got wrecked so take that for what it's worth.

Most SC's are slow because their owners do not take the time and effort to sort out their combination and make it all work right. People running personal bests at the SC Shootout is more or less a disappointment because generally it really means they haven't done anything other than attend a few car shows over the summer.

1MTNCAT
03-04-2011, 10:16 AM
11.89 is really good for 350rwhp so I have to give you that. SC's have cast pistons, nothing special there. Jason out in NH was running 11.6's on his stock bottom end SC motor with 15psi + 75Hp until his car got wrecked so take that for what it's worth.

Most SC's are slow because their owners do not take the time and effort to sort out their combination and make it all work right. People running personal bests at the SC Shootout is more or less a disappointment because generally it really means they haven't done anything other than attend a few car shows over the summer.

Thanks Dave!

Did that SC have any head or cam work done and it was running an additional 75 shot correct?

What does that displacement equate too comparted to mine?

Thanks for the information on the SC stock bottom ends. I thought they had forged pistons. My bad.

If and when I get this kitty back together I expect to be in the 10's.

Roadhawg
03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
If and when I get this kitty back together I expect to be in the 10's.

Here ....... kitty......kitty..........kitty :)

David Neibert
03-04-2011, 11:51 AM
People running personal bests at the SC Shootout is more or less a disappointment because generally it really means they haven't done anything other than attend a few car shows over the summer.

:confused:

Dave,

Did you mean to say "People not running personal bests" ?

David

BLOWN38
03-04-2011, 11:52 AM
No, like I said lets compare fuel usage to determine who's got the bigger motor.

4.6L on 17psi = 9.8L with OHC advantage.

3.8L on 24psi = 9.8L with pushrod tehnology.

I call it a draw displacement wise. :p Chris, you need to run 10.30's. Get cracking.

I know right... I'm working on it.;) We're creepin up on these 3 10 seconder's so their pants are gettin alittle warm. You see Kevin makin a new intake.;) Hope Notime gets Wise's old car fixed up. And them other turbos get their act together.

Think I'm doin pretty good. Dropped a second from just slappin the 2.0 on last year 11.7 to 10.7. And a second and hlf from last shootout to november 10, 12.2 to 10.7.

XR7 Dave
03-04-2011, 12:24 PM
:confused:

Dave,

Did you mean to say "People not running personal bests" ?

David

No, I meant what I said. The fact that so many people run personal bests on that day just shows how little they race on other days. Conditions are never ideal on Shootout day, so I expect anyone really serious about running quick will be doing so at other tracks with better conditions.

Kurt K
03-04-2011, 12:47 PM
No, I meant what I said. The fact that so many people run personal bests on that day just shows how little they race on other days. Conditions are never ideal on Shootout day, so I expect anyone really serious about running quick will be doing so at other tracks with better conditions.Generally, most of us from the St Louis are run our bests at the Shootout because the conditions are the best there. Now that Gateway has closed, I don't expect that to change. I will say that I did run my best in Clay City, KY last year after the Shootout, but I think that was dumb luck that the weather cooperated in early November.

Dave & I hit the track numerous times last year and most of the time, the weather sucked. If we lived on either coast, setting personal bests at other track would be more likely.

CMac89
03-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Agreed. The best runs are going to happen early spring or late fall. Both are short periods of time compared to the rest of the year. Especially in the Midwest.

XR7 Dave
03-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Generally, most of us from the St Louis are run our bests at the Shootout because the conditions are the best there. Now that Gateway has closed, I don't expect that to change. I will say that I did run my best in Clay City, KY last year after the Shootout, but I think that was dumb luck that the weather cooperated in early November.

Dave & I hit the track numerous times last year and most of the time, the weather sucked. If we lived on either coast, setting personal bests at other track would be more likely.

Funny I remember other people saying exactly the same thing back when David ran 10.65 in his 91 in St. Louis, only that time it was the east coast complaining about the -1500ft DA that they "never get" on the east coast. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone has the lock on ideal conditions. The midwest is quite capable of some really low humidity, high pressure systems at different times of the year.

What you said in your post above exemplifies what I tried to point out above. You ran a personal best in Clay city, and you don't think that was even due to planning on your part. I'm not saying that people shouldn't run their best at the Shootout, I said that the frequency of people doing so is a reflection of lack of preparation/practice at other times/places during the year.

Remember, this is not a dig at SC owners in general. Instead it is a somewhat factual statement about the reality of most SC owners - they are not dedicated to maximizing their car combinations. Keep in mind that these statements are being presented in a thread about 9-10 second SC's, not 11-12 second SC's. If you want to run 9-10's then its going to take a higher level of commitment than what most people are making.

David Neibert
03-04-2011, 03:27 PM
If you want to run 9-10's then its going to take a higher level of commitment than what most people are making.

You have to be completly irrational and maybe a little bit crazy, to even think about building a 9 second SC. To actually do it, moves you way up on the crazy scale.

David

1MTNCAT
03-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Well I've ran at St Louis several times back in the early 2000's (NMRA and World Ford Challenge) and each time I ran bests there. The weather at the shootout this year was excellent and judging by the performances there of some of our local cars, with their set ups they ran new bests that day. So you can kick that theory out the window. Chris, Keith, Chad and Jennifer can attest to that. They also had run quite a bit all season long.

You do catch days where the air is ideal and track conditions great with traction and so on. Yes, if you can catch a day like Chris had last fall at MIR those are about the optimum you can run in period.

Unfortunately I've not been able to get mine on the track in such conditions prior to the engine failure. But I expect my time will come.

For whatever reason, Kilkare is about 1/10 or so quicker than Mason Dixon here in similiar conditions for whatever reason. I have had the truck on both tracks. I also know that Cecil and MIR areconsistantly quicker in the same conditions as Mason Dixon, and Rockingham NC is about the same as those two.

But its an interesting conversation.

Dave is right though. More seat time makes everyone better when they get the cars in the right conditions to run numbers, and thats a fact.

XR7 Dave
03-05-2011, 10:25 AM
You have to be completly irrational and maybe a little bit crazy, to even think about building a 9 second SC. To actually do it, moves you way up on the crazy scale.

David

I don't think so. Your 91 is clearly on the verge of a 10 second pass and your 93 is on the verge of a 9 second pass. Nothing about either car is irrational or crazy. Both are drivable street cars.

That you might have spent more money on either of them than your neighbors might consider rational isn't relevant. Someone who spends a lot of money at the country club is irrational in my opinion.... The important thing is that you enjoy it and you balance things out. A 10 second street SC seemed absurd 10 years ago, but today it's not so crazy.

David Neibert
03-19-2011, 12:16 AM
I don't think so. Your 91 is clearly on the verge of a 10 second pass and your 93 is on the verge of a 9 second pass. Nothing about either car is irrational or crazy. Both are drivable street cars.

That you might have spent more money on either of them than your neighbors might consider rational isn't relevant. Someone who spends a lot of money at the country club is irrational in my opinion.... The important thing is that you enjoy it and you balance things out. A 10 second street SC seemed absurd 10 years ago, but today it's not so crazy.

The cars aren't crazy or irrational, their great. What you call "higher level of commitment" I call being "crazy" about these cars.

David