tranny questions and some more

Scott-Atah

ok still on my problem....mechanic says it's the tranny, i disagree...but how do i tell a mechanic he's wrong hah, and what do i have to back myself.

anywho...when a tranny slips the rpm's will rise up...just it won't be pushing the car like it should correct? Or can the tranny be slipping a lil yet, not have any change whatsoever in the rpm's?

ps...i'm takin the car to a different mechanic tommorrow, to get another opinion on me ordeal.

also...i wanna clean out my TB but i've never done it. Seems easy enouhg to take off and i'd just clean it with a degreaser or something (is there anything i should or should not use?) also, do i have to do anything special when putting it back on??? is there any write-up's on this?

i'm hoping it'll fix a lotta the weird idle'n stuff in my car heh and make things run smoother.

oh yeah, guess i never explained that to y'all

in any gear (includin park) it'll kinda burp, small short noticable shake where something gets clogged up for a second...no rpm change or anythign though. most noticably during 60-70km/h

most noticable in second gear when given 1/2 or more throttle, it will sometimes (rather often) act as if something is clogged, try'n to go, but just can't....rpms not jumping, all levels appear to be normal...car sounds fine...just something isn't letting it go like normal.

i'm having what i said in the above message done...but i personally don't think this is the tranny.

The "shake" could be anything from torque converter shudder to a spark plug failing under load. The "burp" sounds like ignition. Have you pulled codes on it?

'bird

negative on the codes idea....to me...seems like fuel filterish kinda deal.....but i'll try n have em do the codes tommorrow as obviously i can't myself heh.

I was going to suggest the fuel filter as a possibility also. Seems strange that you have no change in RPMs during any shaking. Has your gas economy changed?

I've got a question for ya'all

Ok...
I am the proud (most of the time) owner of a white 1993 SC 5 spd Manual. My clutch (the entire thing (slave cylinder, clutch plate, all that fun stuff)) died on me 2 days ago. Not having the time (or so I thought) to fix it myself, nor the tools at the moment, I took it to my local Ford Dealer, figuring "Hey, they sell Fords, the are a Ford certified shop, it's a Ford...OK!!"
Well, My question basically is, how long should it take a TRAINED, QUALIFIED technician to change out a clutch, and how much should it cost. I'm sticking with my stock setup for now, as I don't have too much done yet, so I don't need a better clutch. I just got a call from them (like 2 minutes ago), and they said they ordered the wrong part, need it another day (which majorly screws most of my plans for the weekend), and it's gonna cost me about 750 bucks. So, how much time should be involved? And, how much does one of those setups cost? Couldn't find an exact price on a couple of sites I checked. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm getting hosed here. I'm beginning to feel like I am. Not too sure though. Wanted some other opinions. Thanks folks!
Andy

JFYI, Ford no longer sells brand new plates, and discs. They are remanufactured items....or so I was told. Below are the prices I was quoted for a stock '91.

Plate-$106.57 + $20 core
Disc-$114.68 + $10 core
Slave (w/bearing)-$134.42

You will want to inspect the pilot bearing, and definitely replace the rear main seal. I would go ahead and replace the u-joints since the driveshaft will need to come out when they do the clutch. If you decide not to do the u-joints and they need done at a later time look at taking the gas tank down or the rear end.

Good luck!

ok....got the car into the shop today...met a new SOLID mechanic who i actually really liked. He and I went for a drive, he drove, and we discussed what was happening and what i figured to be weird.

they then started with a scope analysis which gave them about 4 different graph's which apparenlty showed #4 cylingder to be kinda outta wack and also another cylinder to be a lil wacky (can't remember which one) from this they went on to find out it was a problem with the spark plug wires (which i suspected first off, cause of similar problems before.)....turns out my wires were somehow too long and one was basically sitting on my exhaust while another rested against hte manifold or something.

Needless to say they replaced those two wires, and ran a couple more tests as well as did another drive, and it's back to normal. They showed me the wires, the boot of one had about a half inch wide burnmark in it and was starting to get kinda deep. The other wire basically was just bout burnt right thru.

they also reminded me how bad my tires are (got some more sittin int he garage) and how my tail lights don't come on unless ya slam on the brakes (hoping there's a switch on the brake pedal, but haven't looked yet) and then said my battery terminals were getting coroded and so on.

in the end cost me a bit of money..$165CDN total.....but this is by far the best service and response and timing i've ever gotten outta a mechanic and really i couldn't be more happy with them. Also having htere shop accross the parking lot from my work helps out a ton, and they can bet i'll be back in there more and more (if i keep my car), hopefully not so much if i sell it and get the truck i'm planning on. It and the add for it are listed below; feel free to give opinions and suggestions as the only vehicle i've ever owned was my bird, so i don't know much about what to look for in these trucks n what not:

add%2055.bmp

1992 FORD SHORT BOX 4X4, awesome 4 wheel drive finished in electric blue with silver accents & a nice grey sport interior, it comes with a 5.0L, 5 speed, air, tilt, cruise, am/fm cassette, sunvisor, brush guard & more, must sell, $5,950CDN. Ph Sell 4 Less Auto Sales, open Sundays, corner of 156 St & 128 Ave, (780) 455-7138. Edm.

new tires, air cruise tilt stere, gas and propane, 233000km.

going to look at it tommorrow. See what they say my car is worth to them as well

Glad to hear that it was such a minor problem and that the cure wasn't too expensive. Sounds like you might have found a good mechanic for the truck if you buy it. Truck looks good in the pic but of course I'm partial to Fords.

'bird

Nothing like a mechanic you trust if you have to let someone else do the work.

Check the owner's manual for the tow ratings if you plan on using the truck for towing anything much bigger than a lawn mower or atv. That manual trans is weak compared to the auto....

thanks guys....i'm a lil weary of having a 5spd....cause it's in a big city...and i'm not some hardcore offroader heh, but i'll see if i can find out whats been replaced.

Back