didn't pass smog

Dave A Ward

I have a problem with my 91 SC passing smog. This time the smog tech said the car is running lean. He said he has had similar problems on supercharged T-birds. I am in California. Any one have any ideas?

Smog

Get out of California. Absent that, look at the "similar threads" at the bottom of this posting. Not surprisingly, some of your contemporaries have experienced the same thing and the results are there for comparison.

Are they still pushing that lousy oxygenated fuel down there...?

I'd let it sit and load up a bit, nice and warm, with the sensors cycling and then idle in for a test...

Thanks for the suggestions to pass smog. Usually a car doesn't pass smog because it is to dirty. My SC did not pass because it is running to lean. Ran leak tests on intake and exhaust. Found no leaks. Ran diagnostic, everything passed. I will try the suggestions listed on similar links. Hopefully it will pass.

Pull the spout to retard the timing. That will help the lean issue.

Sean

what he said should do it for you when i lived in fl. thats what we used to do with all are cars that don't pass take all the advance out of timming pass everytime the car would run like crap but would pass i had an iroc just had to unplug one wire right before i got in line pull in pass pull out stop open the hood plug it back in and away i went

i might be stupid but if the car is running lean wouldnt that mean its burning more up and hence releasing less smog??

i might be stupid but if the car is running lean wouldnt that mean its burning more up and hence releasing less smog??

Not exactly. When the car runs lean, it burns hotter and contributes to the formation of more oxides of nitrogen.

Not really. The lean condition can cause an increase in the NOX emissions. And 9/10 times.. NOX is what doesn't pass, and 90% of the time, thats due to carbon buildup on the pistons. Rxp or Seafoam can clean it up.

i would agree with just leave Cali but every other state will be the same before long. i have no egr, no cats, no anything smog related. i wander how mine would do hehe. :cool:

i hate the cold and completely support global warming. if it gets to warm we can take over Canada and move into Fraser's neighborhood. :D

those cars of ours that came from the factory without egr, can they still pass the smog test or do they have to get it installed? if i recall correctly the 90 sc auto did not have egr?

i would agree with just leave Cali but every other state will be the same before long. i have no egr, no cats, no anything smog related. i wander how mine would do hehe. :cool:

i hate the cold and completely support global warming. if it gets to warm we can take over Canada and move into Fraser's neighborhood. :D

those cars of ours that came from the factory without egr, can they still pass the smog test or do they have to get it installed? if i recall correctly the 90 sc auto did not have egr?

You don't want to come up here.... we have free basic Health care up here :).

and we have smog tests here that would put cali to shame.

Fraser

Mine is a 90 auto with no egr. It passed smog this last year. I had bad cats with high NOX (530 allowed_failed at 784) Replaced cats with a new version needed in 2009 (3-way) ok'd for California. If ithe car keeps passing you do not need to change to the new version. If it fails and cats are bad you need to go with the new version. These where aftermarket cats so they will probably only last 6-7 years.
The state is trying to get older cars out.

Here is last results in 2010

Take Care
dbd

Attachments

• 2010_smog-results_fail_info-removed_vin.pdf
    203.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 2010_smog-results_pass-new-cats.pdf
    134.8 KB · Views: 43
My 93 passed Atlanta's smog test with the EGR removed and 2 hi-flow cats.
3stage cats are the norm even with EGR.. knowing that tid-bit, I took the front exhaust section off my 5 speed and swapped it with my AOD which had bad cats to get it past emissions.

Note: cats do not WEAR OUT!.. They are good indefinitely. However, if something happens, such as blown HGs pouring coolant into them, impact damage, or a long term rich running condition, they can be ruined. But under normal circumstances, they should be the last thing you need to check.
In the case of my AOD car, the EEC had been running rich for months (bad gas mileage was the only clue) that is what wore mine out.

dbd said it just right. it doesnt matter if these things are really causing global warming or not( so far id say not) its all about getting rid of the older cars forcing people to get new cars and/or forcing people to buy stuff. either which ever way they are using smog test as just another reason to force more money out of you. im going to love to see what they do when everyone runs out of money and then there paradise that they live in there own little world can no longer be supported. it sickens me when most of us have to wait till the next pay check for most anything, having to compromise constantly, while these libtards, dembocrats and even the repossessioners are getting $500 hair cuts, traveling the planet for fun, having multi million dollar vacations/parties, multiple houses and cars all off of the tax's that we pay and then tell us that we need to cut back. raise our tax's because they misspent, and bail out companies that have only ripped us off. just to tic off the politicians i should ask Fraser if there is a tune we can do on my car to make it burn massive smoke. then find some of there town halls and what not and just drive in circles around them.

Last edited:
........ just to tic off the politicians i should ask Fraser if there is a tune we can do on my car to make it burn massive smoke. then find some of there town halls and what not and just drive in circles around them.......

Yeah, just ask Dave Dalke to write a tune for you :p:eek::D.......

j/k

Fraser

Back