Transmission Crossmember ??

AWD1990Tsi

Is it possible to install the Transmission crossmemeber the wrong way on an 89' 5-speed SC? Like I've noticed it appears to have an offset to one side where the Mount actually bolts to the crossmember. And I've also noticed that my driveshaft doesn't sit straight in the tunnel, Conveniently it's off center in the same direction that the X-member seems to be offset. And seems to be causing a vibration at 60mph + as well as a huge headache and nervous feeling for me since replacing the motor mounts didn't help like I thought it would. Anyways. Just wanted to know if it is in fact offset at all, and if so if it's possible to put it in the wrong direction?

I've really come to question everything that the previous owner put his hands on after I've had to redo nearly everything that was done by him after it broke on me shortly after buying the car.

Thanks all

make sure your bushings are in good shape but I think you can install it reverse if you are not careful.

Isnt that offset from the converter or res shield that was on there from the factory so there is room for the heat shield? Been too long since mine was stock to remember.

The bushings dont look cracked or anything just a little stiff. And i'm gonna try to rotate it around then to see if it fixes it as soon as i can get it in the garage.

I'm not sure what the offset you be for but my driveshaft definitely doesnt run straight down the center of the tunnel.

Okay well I just tried to drop the crossmember to rotate it the right direction. And I hit a snag. 1 of the bolts that holds the x-member to the underbody just Spins, and spins, and spins. Is there a nut or something that could have come loose?

And if so what would be the best way to get it out, since wrenches and vise grips don't seem to fit in the area too well from the bottom of the car.

You are talking about the 18mm bolt, right? You'll probaly have to cut it off. Hack saw, dremel.. whatever works. That is unless you can get to it by cutting through the rail and laying a wrench on the nut.. If you can pry that rubber piece out, it might give you enough room to push the plate up and get to it. What a drag..

Yep thats the one I'm talking about. I'm remotely okay with cutting it if need be. But where would I find a replacement bolt that large? And how would I get the remainder of the bolt and the nut thats attached to it off once I drop the crossmember?

Wel if its spinning around, chances are that the nut is already broken lose from the rail. You can probably work it out or knock it around until its out of the way. If you don't want to hear it rattling around in the future, push it out of the way and squit some expanding foam in there all around it.

You should be able to get a replacement bolt/nut from the hardware store. Nothing all that special about it. Grade 8 should work just fine.

Having just worked on a pinewood derby car, I can tell you that lead is pretty solid when set. I might try melting a couple of fishing weights with a torch to securely hold the nut in place. Just an idea; there are other creative options, such a drilling through the frame and inserting smaller bolts to hold it in place, etc.

Ahh gotcha. Yeah that was going to be my next question about how to hold the new nut in place since the hole in the frame seems to be far too small to insert a wrench. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I can get the car back in the garage soon and get it worked out.

Back