Crank Shaft Key

Drummer

Have read a few posts on the crankshaft key issue on these vehicles. My harmonic balancer just crapped out, I suppose. The bolt broke off the front and now between "snow events" I have managed to get everything off and am waiting for parts to get here so I can fix it. The question is, can you get a key that will run the length of the crank for the harmonic balancer to slide on? seems like that would help with the amount of torque these cars produce. Just trying to get a definitive answer.

ENOUGH ALREADY!

You do NOT need to start three topics with identical posts!!!

Try doing a shift-Refresh to force your browser to notice that yes, there's a new message topic.

This (the triple topic) will slow down the knowledgeable folks from posting, because it makes you look like a right twit. (At least you didn't try to use txtspk or lolspeak on it .. )

BUT - in answer to your question - You may notice that it's not twisting off at the keyway, so the keyway is fine. It's the HB itself that's toast - the rubber within.

RwP

ENOUGH ALREADY!

You do NOT need to start three topics with identical posts!!!

Try doing a shift-Refresh to force your browser to notice that yes, there's a new message topic.

This (the triple topic) will slow down the knowledgeable folks from posting, because it makes you look like a right twit. (At least you didn't try to use txtspk or lolspeak on it .. )

BUT - in answer to your question - You may notice that it's not twisting off at the keyway, so the keyway is fine. It's the HB itself that's toast - the rubber within.

RwP

Didn't need to get B slapped there homer. Not my fault and this aint my first rodeo. If you have a complaint then PM me. Don't jump down my A in a public forum.

Didn't need to get B slapped there homer. Not my fault and this aint my first rodeo. If you have a complaint then PM me. Don't jump down my A in a public forum.

If it's not your first rodeo (and no it's not), why did you post three times?

And I didn't jump down your ~~~, trust me.

As you may note, I ALSO answered your question. ONCE.

RwP

O.K.. Just for S and G’s I decided to explain my plight with this post that seems to have consumed you. Here’s what happened there Jr. I logged on to SCCOA via my ultra-high-speed firefox browser. No issues logging in. I proceeded then to the “Technical Forum” because,, well, I have a “Technical” issue. I hit the “New Thread” button and it loaded just fine. I typed the subject and proceeded to the main body of the thread to skillfully type in my issue in hopes of some “Technical” relief. After doing so I proceeded to hit the button “Submit” and hopped up from my semi-plush home office chair to get a bite to eat. Upon returning to my computer I noticed that the same page was up with my post hanging in limbo. The post had not been submitted. Kinda hanging there like it was hung up. So, while this was going on I, with all my computer skill, decided to copy the body of the post out to be pasted back in on try #2. This was accomplished without incident. I closed my browser, counted to 10 and re-opened it. I went straight to the “Technical forum” and made sure it hadn’t posted when I wasn’t looking. To my complete and utter surprise, NO POST!. At this time I decided to try again and hit the button “Submit new Post” or whatever the button is to do that. Same page pops up and I type in the subject line, well, my subject. Pasted the contents in and hit submit again….Got up from my PC and proceeded to hit the Jon for a long overdue reading of the local newspaper.
10 minutes later and a few really nifty articles later I proceeded back to my computer to see how many highly knowledge SC owners had answered my thread. I saw the same screen looking at me and was really getting aggravated. This time I just shut down the computer before I lobbed it across the room. Waited about 10 minutes and turned her back on. Everything loaded as usual and after hitting “No” to my anti-virus software wanting me to upgrade to the ultra-cool full edition I proceeded to log back in to the site, if your slow that would be SCCOA. Site loaded right up no problems. Went back to the posts in “Technical forum” and to my unbelieving eyes not one of my previous attempts were showing. I hit the button “New Post” er whatever that button is and started the process all over again with the ability to paste the stuff in. Re-do and BAM!! Hit the button, without hesitation the post went! I was beside myself and did the “Happy Dance” at my computer much to the dismay of my wife and stepdaughter.

Went back to the “Technical Forum” and there were 3 posts. What can I say… I was a bit embarrassed seeing as how I and a computer savvy kind of an individual and maintain over 30 computers which entails software and hardware. Oh well. Me writing this is not to pacify you but to splain my plight more to myself so when I see my mistake I can read this to refresh my memory seeing as how I am getting older and my memory has issues from time to time. TAH_DAH!!!!!

Last edited:
This is a known bug in vbulletin that causes this issue because of a bug in PHP with session variables. You could always wait until it happens to Ralph and "remind" him of it ;).

Fraser
ps: I removed your duplicates.

Have read a few posts on the crankshaft key issue on these vehicles. My harmonic balancer just crapped out, I suppose. The bolt broke off the front and now between "snow events" I have managed to get everything off and am waiting for parts to get here so I can fix it. The question is, can you get a key that will run the length of the crank for the harmonic balancer to slide on? seems like that would help with the amount of torque these cars produce. Just trying to get a definitive answer.

Stock size key for the balancer is fine. The balancer fails because of the weak aluminum hub, not the key length. Here is an article on installing a BHJ balancer that may be helpful.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12how-to/BHJ/BHJ-install.html

David

PS: Most times, all that is needed to get a proper fit to the crankshaft is to hone the balancer hub ID, not machine it as shown in the article I linked.

Stock size key for the balancer is fine. The balancer fails because of the weak aluminum hub, not the key length. Here is an article on installing a BHJ balancer that may be helpful.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12how-to/BHJ/BHJ-install.html

David

PS: Most times, all that is needed to get a proper fit to the crankshaft is to hone the balancer hub ID, not machine it as shown in the article I linked.
Thank you sir. Just need to get the balancer, maybe tomorrow, and some sealer to goop around in the before I cinch the thing down.

1245311-failed_2_super.jpg

:D

O.K.. The balancer is here. I have it and the pulley sitting on my fireplace mantel. Put the pulley on the balancer and through reading a few threads on here there is basically one way this thing will align up. Tried 4 ways from just turning it from hole position to hole position and found the best of 4 possibilities but one freakin hole is just slightly off center. Since the bolts are steel and the balancer part is aluminum I am so paranoid I will strip out the 4th hole. Is there a trick to this? I don't want to force it and risk ruining the new OEM balancer I just received. HELP!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Normally the trick is to mark the pulley and HB before you separate them but since you have a new HB go with the best looking match. Call if you need me.

Think I might just get a drill bit and wallow out the hole that doesn't match. Weight the filings and compensate the loss of metal with an exact same weight washer.

The dealership/Autozone/Oreily's/Parts Plus/Napa/Advance Auto Parts all looked at me like I was smoking crack when I asked if they had the Bolt for the harmonic balancer that goes into the crank shaft. If I had a Dorman part number for the thing that would be nice or something that would get this stupid bolt in my hand. I would even try Lowe's or home Depot.

Went to Pull-A-Part and got one from a 3.8 Thunderbird non SC. Put the pulley on the new balancer and put the new crank sensor on. All is well. Total for bolt and newish spare tire cover and rear view mirror thing that goes in the armrest.....$1.85. What a bargain.

Back