latest news/best ball joints

hangman

I did a couple of searches and found the article with the raytheons from rock auto, are these any better? also what do i look for to see what all needs replacing? The car has a lot of miles on it, what normally needs replacing? thanks.

I hate to say it.... everything......Upper control arms I see going quick as well as the bushings attched to that thick threaded rod that goes from the control arm to K member

Long term experience from others with MN12/FN10 cars?

Moog or TRW parts, save for the strut rod bushings, which need to be Ford OEM. (I'm putting in ACDelco frame and Moog control arm, to test, since nobody seems to consider ACDelco for their Ford.)

Raytheon makes two levels of parts - the cheap OEPart type that are known to fail (which is what most eBay sellers sell, BTW), and one that's middling fair quality.

Still not a TRW/Moog/Motorcraft/Ford OE part, though.

There's quite a bit of experience over in The Slums about the front end on the MN12s (and the rear end, BTW.)

But to each their own - consider how long the factory parts lasted (I'm just now replacing suspension parts from the factory parts on a 1991 Cougar!), it's hard to argue with replacing with anything BUT Ford OEM when it's available.

One more note - now, I'm using the greasable parts whenever possible, and using a moly-based grease, because I'm an old geezer and really don't trust PTFE (aka Teflon) for suspension parts. But - technically, the sealed parts are the better parts, when you can pick.

Last note - keep a SHARP eye on the boots. Seems like the most common failure is that the boots fail, dirt and grit gets into the joints, and they wear very quickly. Outer tie rod end, stabilizer bar end link, and ball joint caps are available from folks such as SCP - or even from Dorman as their HELP! or Motomite or Uneeda products - with the caveat that the SCP sold ones (and the ones that Robert sells, over in The Slums) are poly, and seem to last longer. (I think they're the Energy Suspension ones, but especially from SCP, it's hard to tell.)

It's really up to you. Do it this year with the cheap crap, and do it again (praying that the ball joints don't let go - there's been too many reports and pictures of that happening with the cheap Chinese crap that the eBay sellers sell!) shortly. Spend less than 2x the amount and don't touch it the rest of the time you own the car. Me? I'd rather do it right the first time.

RwP

Back