Key tumbler adjustment?

PDQ SC

Insert key into ignition tumbler. It must go all the way in then pull out on the black tab (it has a bit of play in it) before it will allow the turn. Is there an adjustment or a way to tighten it up?

yes but your better off just getting a new 1. not sure if they still have them but ford had 1 for me about 2 years ago when i replaced mine.

You will have to have a locksmith cut the replacement keys to match your door locks. One side of the keys are ignition(Already cut for the cylinder obviously). The other side is door locks. Dealer can do this for you. Though if they dont know how to measure properly they wont work in the door locks. Take the car with you to make sure if you have the dealer do it, just to make sure.

You will have to have a locksmith cut the replacement keys to match your door locks. One side of the keys are ignition(Already cut for the cylinder obviously). The other side is door locks. Dealer can do this for you. Though if they dont know how to measure properly they wont work in the door locks. Take the car with you to make sure if you have the dealer do it, just to make sure.

i never knew that..

Same thing happened to mine last year. Took it to a shop and they sent the new tumbler assembly and original key to a local locksmith so I could have it keyed to the original key. Cost me over $300 to have it done. They installed a new ignition switch and tumbler. I think they screwed me. I bought the new tumbler and switch new on eBay.

Same thing happened to mine last year. Took it to a shop and they sent the new tumbler assembly and original key to a local locksmith so I could have it keyed to the original key. Cost me over $300 to have it done. They installed a new ignition switch and tumbler. I think they screwed me. I bought the new tumbler and switch new on eBay.

umm ya you got screwed. when i had mine done it was only 2 years ago. i brought the door locks and new ignition locks into the hardware store(mom and pop stop) and they reset it all for $20. and in addition i had a special key made up. we also have a 97 explorer. you can cut 1 side of the key for another lock and it will work in the ignition. it work not work fr the locks though. which is not an issue due to i have remote access on both. i intend to fab a ford ignition(reset to my current key) into my suburban aswell so ill have 1 key for everything.

umm ya you got screwed. when i had mine done it was only 2 years ago. i brought the door locks and new ignition lock into the hardware store(mom and pop stop) and they reset it all for $20. and in addition i had a special key made up. we also have a 97 explorer. you can cut 1 side of the key for another ignition lock and it will work in the ignition. it work not work for the door locks though. which is not an issue due to i have remote access on both. i intend to fab a ford ignition(reset to my current key) into my suburban aswell so ill have 1 key for everything.

INTERNET FROZE AND DOUBLE POST. PLEASE DELETE THIS ONE MODERATOR!

umm ya you got screwed. when i had mine done it was only 2 years ago. i brought the door locks and new ignition lock into the hardware store(mom and pop stop) and they reset it all for $20. and in addition i had a special key made up. we also have a 97 explorer. you can cut 1 side of the key for another ignition lock and it will work in the ignition. it work not work for the door locks though. which is not an issue due to i have remote access on both. i intend to fab a ford ignition(reset to my current key) into my suburban aswell so ill have 1 key for everything.

INTERNET FROZE AND DOUBLE POST. PLEASE DELETE THIS ONE MODERATOR!

Well, I thought they were "Good People". Just got a smile and a knife in the back. Word of mouth will pay for that one. Needless to say I won't take her back there again. Only thing with my 90 is I wish they had a Key Fob instead of the door key pad.

you can find after market fob systems everywhere and can be set up in conjunction with the door pad keyless entry system. keep in mind when doing this that our keyless entry systems use reverse current for operation. and you will need extra relays due to such with almost any remote system you get. some out there are nice enough that they are designed to deal with such systems.

reverse current= power is on at all times and contact/command is done by making contact with a ground

Yeah that is rediculous. All they do is measure the old key. Each cut position has a number and they cut the key to fit that numerical code. It takes 5 minutes to measure and another 5 to cut the keys. The dealer will likely do it for free if you buy the Cylinder from them....

Either way. Just get it re-keyed. Plus I got the keys with the plastic ford emblem on it. Looks original and not Home Depot. And the new cylinder isn't all scratched up from 20 plus years of missed key insertion attempts. LOL

Yeah that is rediculous. All they do is measure the old key. Each cut position has a number and they cut the key to fit that numerical code. It takes 5 minutes to measure and another 5 to cut the keys. The dealer will likely do it for free if you buy the Cylinder from them....

They weren't cutting a new key ... They were moving the pins in the new tumbler to fit the old key.

Still, I would think $300 is a bit much. $100, I could swallow. But not $300.

Back