89-93 Base/LX Block With SC Finish?

Sermoneous

Got into a discussion with a gentleman earlier from around town said he had a 90 bought it in 89 and in 1999 threw a rod. Told me it couldnt have been an easier fix just went to the Junkyard grabbed a block from one of your Everyday T-Birds 89-93 LX/Base and just swapped the blocks. This guy made it sound way too simple so in turn I assumed he was wrong. Somebody enlighten me please?

Got into a discussion with a gentleman earlier from around town said he had a 90 bought it in 89 and in 1999 threw a rod. Told me it couldnt have been an easier fix just went to the Junkyard grabbed a block from one of your Everyday T-Birds 89-93 LX/Base and just swapped the blocks. This guy made it sound way too simple so in turn I assumed he was wrong. Somebody enlighten me please?

The SC block is thicker in some portions, and therefore stronger, but everything should bolt up the same. There is a difference in the last crankshaft main bearing. The SC crank is turned smaller and the bearing is smaller to fit it. (This is so the NA crank can not be installed into a SC block.) I do not know, however, if the bearing cap and block are actually different, or if they are cut the same and the bearing is a different thickness.

That is the information about the block itself. Now if he was talking about a "shortblock," then there are a lot more differences. The crank, rods, and pistons are all different, with a lower compression ratio and stronger parts for the SC.

you can use a regular 3.8,BUT IT WON'T LAST LONG. maybe a week top's. the base lx dosn't have forged internals. The sc block is all forged internals to handle the boost. How did he buy a 90 in 89? he must be smoking something very good.

you can use a regular 3.8,BUT IT WON'T LAST LONG. maybe a week top's. the base lx dosn't have forged internals. The sc block is all forged internals to handle the boost. How did he buy a 90 in 89? he must be smoking something very good.

I think cars were released the same as they are today The following years line-up is released the The summer of the current year. Im pretty sure my 1990 SC came off the line in Mar or Aug 89 Im not sure which month off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Back