Calling 1990 SC owners, MAF

89tird

Hey guys my 90 sc came with a maf that was previously replaced, the maf has no part numbers on it, only an arrow that points the way of the airflow,the car is dying in reverse sometimes and bucks under load like 4000 rpms, if i disconnect the MAF the car runs smoother.

Can anybody with a 90sc read the part number on their MAF that way i could go to the junkyard and pick one up of the same part number.. thanks in advance.

Awesome!!, appreciate the help, yes i tried cleaning it but it does not look like a supercoupe maf at all, it does not have a bridge in the middle, and has a mesh screen, i dont remember seein that on none of the other supercoupes ive owned.

No problem. I was gonna say I used a can of air duster and blew mine out when I first got the car cuz it had dirt and stuff all inside of it, and now it works perfectly fine.

Awesome!!, appreciate the help, yes i tried cleaning it but it does not look like a supercoupe maf at all, it does not have a bridge in the middle, and has a mesh screen, i dont remember seein that on none of the other supercoupes ive owned.

That sounds like an earlier style stock SC maf to me. It has no bridge in the middle and it does have a mesh screen on it. All three earlier style SC's I've parted and my own SC had that.

Bucking is usually a sign of a spark related problem. It may "appear" to be better when you unplug the maf, but what is happening is the EEC is failing out the MAF and using only the TB position to figure out how much fuel is needed, and that is very very pig rich on a factory setup. I would not want to run the car for any length of time like that at light throttle, let alone trying to run the car hard :cool:.

Fraser

Thanks Fraser, I just looked at a picture from an early maf and it does have the screen, maybe the housing i have is good but definately the maf is different or something aftermkarket.

Back