"Change Oil" indicator question...

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
okay, i'm sure that there is NOT a sensor that determines the oil quality so i'm wonder about mine....it seems that after being reset the time interval in between the "change oil nows" is shorter than it used to be...does anyone know if the computer controls this based on the miles it's driven (you know, the higher miles on your car, the shorter the interval) or is it contained in that little dashboard unit, or is mine just messed up? :) i have 186k on it, and it says i need to change my oil every...800 miles or so. thanks for any answers anyone might have :)

Matt

PS..

i don't change the oil that often either...wait for about 300o miles....so i'm not THAT dumb or anything ;)

Matt

oil

From all that I've read on here the guages seem to go wherever they want, some at 500 miles some at 800 mine at about 3000 so far but I watch them to be safe. don't go by them.
Ed

Hello Matt.

Ditto with these guys. My 35th just seems to like to mess with me on the oil change thing. Some other guys have guessed that it may be a sensor getting older. Over the years I have just changed my oil and filter at around 3000 miles and have had no problems along those lines. I just reset the VMM at every oil change unless it changes really fast. then I just reset and go on with it.

Have a great weekend all.

hehe...

so it's just a goofy little thing to keep people busy then! .....i like pressing the reset button anyways! i'll just keep it up then and not try to get another, no big deal.....it's jsut that when i take people for a ride they think that i never change my oil if the indicator is on, so i have to explain ;) alright, thanks guys!

Matt

VMM

mine did the same thing, said to change oil in like 600 miles. Then it started telling me that EVERY fluid was low even though everything was fine. I fixed mine by taking it out and replacing it with a plastic plate from a T-Bird that didn't come with the VWW (robbed from a buddy's SC parts car! ). I mean you have oil pressure and temp gauges anyway that thing was just a gimmick in the first place.

Key on to run position but engine off (KOEO). Ignore the annoying ding ding. Take a large (not the regular sized.. too flimsy) unfolded paperclip, or equivalent, and push into the pin hole to the left of the OilChange light. Hold in until the lights stop flashing and OK shows up. Repeat as needed. :cool:

Reset

Two things to know, you can only reset it when it is reading either soon or now (in case you change it before it says to) and insert the paper clip while it is still flashing.
Ed

Back