all weight reduction methods

slowpoke

Im in hope of starting a thread to list what everyone has done to reduce weight all in 1 thread. So if you have done some weight reduction please post your methods here. If any special steps or mods are required then please specify them aswell. Keep in mind 1 method is not always better then another all depending on what the next guy is looking to do or needs so even if someone else did something along the lines of what you did but better please still post what you did to.

Thank you in advance
Stephen

I don't know where the thread is, but one member turned an SC into a track car, and tore the whole thing down and weighed everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. That could be a good place to look to find things to lighten the load.
I think I was searching for the carbon fiber door thread when I found that thread. Just a thought.

-Mark VIII Aluminum LCA's/pumpkin
-PBR calipers
-Remove the steel cross bar ahead of the gas tank under the exhaust (some say it's structural though)
-Remove the blanket like padding from under the rear seat, under the carpet, inner quarters (below the speakers), behind the fenders and above the plastic wheel wells.
-Remove the plastic mount for the RKE and alarm modules and mount the modules directly to the chassis, same goes for the rear deck with the amp/abs/arc modules.
-Remove unused or unnecessary circuits (if you deleted ARC and/or ABS there's 15-20lbs of leftover wiring there) This is tedious but there's alot of weight in wiring with these, Many paths can be shortened and simplified as well. An EVTM is a good thing to have.
-Manual seat tracks, at least on the pass side.

These steps keep the cars creature comforts and character intact for the most part, and added together is a decent bit of weight removed.

Search for some of my threads. I've documented weight reduction methods I've used, and posted a fairly large list of how much various parts weigh. With all sound deadener, full interior, and AC in place, my car weighs 3,433 pounds.

I have a thread over on tccoa with major weight reductions.....but, I stopped weighing things....I was already at 2,960 lbs before I started that thread.
I should be in the neighberhood of 2700-2800 with no driver, and full 8 point bar.

Back