5spd Rebuild

Melon

SCCoA Member
So after some searching, it seems that Southern Gear is the place to go for parts. I went to their website and found very little listed in the catalog. So I searched eBay and came across this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I realize it says F150, but will those parts interchange with the Super Coupe M5R2? I'm mostly just after synchros, but would get a full rebuild kit and replace it all while we're in there.

Thanks

hey melon, i spoke to bill at scp and he said to call him up and he will get you in contact with a rebuild kit that you can trust.

note these tranny's are pretty tough. usually the only thing that needs replaced is the front and aft seals and the synchronizer's.

Stephen

Last edited:
also from a discussion with the tranny shop some time ago, they said there is 1 bearing in there that has a lip rolled over it. much like the bearings in our rotor packs. that will have to be beaten out or grind the lip away. once this is done they said they tipically seal the new bearing in with quick steal liquid metal. its still a press in bearing so with the quick steal added they claim to have never had a problem

with using the brass synchro's most times produce a whining noise as apposed to the Teflon synchro's. just a heads up so you dont freak out on your first test drive.

From my research and tons of questions I found that the rebuild kit is the same as the F-150 M5R2 except 5th gear and reverse syncros. Seems like when you say you have an M5R2 from a SC the price goes up the roof.

Last edited:
also from a discussion with the tranny shop some time ago, they said there is 1 bearing in there that has a lip rolled over it. much like the bearings in our rotor packs. that will have to be beaten out or grind the lip away. once this is done they said they tipically seal the new bearing in with quick steal liquid metal. its still a press in bearing so with the quick steal added they claim to have never had a problem

This is not true.

with using the brass synchro's most times produce a whining noise as apposed to the Teflon synchro's. just a heads up so you dont freak out on your first test drive.

Really? Are you sure about this? I've driven 5-speed cars with oem, brass and carbon fiber and I don't remember any kind of noise difference.

From my research and tons of questions I found that the rebuild kit is the same as the F-150 M5R2 except 5th gear and reverse syncros. Seems like when you say you have an M5R2 from a SC the price goes up the roof.

They are not the same.

The counter shaft nut is the same between the F-150 M5R1, Ranger M5R1, and Thunderbird M5R2.

The main shaft nut is the same between the Ranger M5R1, and Thunderbird M5R2. Do not get a F-150 M5R1, it won't work.

Just call Southern Gear and tell them you have a Thunderbird M5R2 or RKE.

You should replace all of this when doing a rebuild:

1st-4th gear blocker rings - carbon fiber or brass
Reverse gear blocker rings - brass
5th gear blocker rings - brass
main shaft nut
counter shaft nut
front and rear seals

The only mistake they might make in your order is the counter shaft nut but you can overcome that by reminding them it is the same from a Ranger.

I paid $300 for all of the parts above when I got the carbon fiber blockers. I do not remember how much less it was if you went with brass.

If you do a search you will find that people say that most of the bearings in this transmission wear very well and very seldom do they need replaced.

You know the history of my car and my transmission rebuilder said the bearings were in amazing shape for the mileage.

You might ALSO need shims for the front bearing plate/cover and the rear bearing plate.

Last edited:
Back