Engine Swap>>HELP!!>>>

gmen0521@yahoo.

Hi got a Ford Thunderbird LX 1990 3.8L V6 i want to swap the engine from a thunderbird SC to my car if anyone can help is this possible can anyone give me some suggestions on how to if like possible ...Am really looking forward to this!
Thanks!!
gmen0521@yahoo.com
:)

BEST advice on this question...

Buy an SC.
WAY too much to do the SC swap into an N/A car compared to just buying an real SC.
You are going to spend WAY MORE money doing the swap than buying an SC too!

Possible? Why yes it is...

Worth the effort? Well, that may be another story. But you probably won't know that for sure until the project is said and done.

Here's what I highly recommend (that is, if a donor SC can't be had at your disposal... like sitting in your backyard so you can take every bolt and nut you may need)
- Complete SC engine and trans. And that's an SC AOD trans, not your N/A AOD.
- EEC from the interior plus that wiring harness that leads into the engine bay.
- Wiring schematics for your car and for the donor car since there will be some wiring changes (don't ask me what, I don't remember for sure)
- Rest of the drivetrain - Driveshaft, rear end, axles, etc. The rear end and axles are stronger and will handle the SC torque plus you'll have rear disc brakes as well.
- A few weeks free time, ambition to finish, and beer (optional really)

From what I remember, and hopefully the one who helped me can chime in, the swap itself is pretty straightforward. It's the wiring that may be a hang up. If the car has sentimental value, or you are just up for the challenge, I say go ahead with the swap. If you aren't attached the car, I say sell it and find a Super Coupe.

If you really want to do the swap, check out v6power.net, they have a forum section for swapping the sc motor into other cars. A guy "addictedtorehab" swapped the sc motor into his 3.8 cougar. His build thread could probably help you out. His car I think was a 96 which might be obdii, but other than the tuning, it should be pretty similar.

i don't know why so many folks say just get a sc, its as simple as dropping the engine and trans in and putting another ecu in, its really simple and straight forward

if you have any hang ups shoot me a PM

i don't know why so many folks say just get a sc, its as simple as dropping the engine and trans in and putting another ecu in, its really simple and straight forward

if you have any hang ups shoot me a PM

I think it's mostly because the SC is better looking, has a better suspension, usually a nicer interior, has loads of SC-specific odds and ends that are hard to find, and is dirt cheap.

Back