Gas draining on ground at gas pump?

bkosonen

So today before work I was empty and stopes at the pump and filled it up but set the Handel to auto shut off. Went inside to get coffee and it auto stoped but it was draining gas under the car right were the spring is and A arm. Alot of gas to. After I drove to work it's not leaking now. Could of it just over filled?

So today before work I was empty and stopes at the pump and filled it up but set the Handel to auto shut off. Went inside to get coffee and it auto stoped but it was draining gas under the car right were the spring is and A arm. Alot of gas to. After I drove to work it's not leaking now. Could of it just over filled?

I think that's how it works when the tank is full and more gas keeps coming....

The seal around the fuel pump is bad....

It happens to a lot of birds....

You need to get it fixed ASAP....

The fuel will melt the plastic connections on top of the fuel pump, not to mention that any fuel that gets outside the car can start a fire.....:eek:

Until then, just don't fill'er up.....:p

The seal around the fuel pump is bad....

Could be that, but also check the metal tubes that go into the fuel pump assembly, they are soldered on, and can come unsoldered overtime, and fuel will leak out of them.

I've had that happen twice on me.

all good suggestion, but also check the fill pipe from the side of your car to the tank. with fuel prices going up gas theft is also going up. what alot of these kids do is they cut the rubber hose from under the car to insert there siphon. every car on my block had been robbed of gas at 1 point. we now have an entire video surveillance system spread across the entire area now. ever since we have only had 2 gas thefts.

Last edited:
Ok im sure the seal is bad. Thats weird, cuz I filled it up 2 times on the way home when I got the car and it never happened.

Could be that, but also check the metal tubes that go into the fuel pump assembly, they are soldered on, and can come unsoldered overtime, and fuel will leak out of them.

I've had that happen twice on me.

+1

I'd make sure you can get a new fuel level sending unit at your local parts house or at the dealer before you drop the tank because I'm willing to bet this is what is causing the leak.

Tis has happened to me. It was the gasket on the fuel sending / pump hoder.

Didn't buy a replacement gasket when I replaced the fuel pump. Since I didn't have a car to go get one hoped I'd get away with it.

Sean

Back