belts

sc91gt

Hello, tried a search but got no answers. When I installed my 5% supercharger pulley I put on the 3" tensioner pulley as well as one size shorter belt. Have had no signs of slippage. Now I have installed a 5% jackshaft pulley too. But I could not get the shorter belt on so went back to the stock length. Gonna keep an eye on it, but wondering if ill have any issues. Thanks, shawn.

Check the belt wear indicator on the tensioner. If it's in the right place, no. If it's too far to the "worn belt" side, yes.

Here's a pic of a typical tensioner and its belt wear indicator:

belts5.gif

Look at the images here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1140433&parttype=11659 and notice the mark on them - it's the belt wear mark. Should be one similiar on yours.

RwP

When you check the betl tensioner gauge does it matter if the car is warm or cold, as far as I know my car is bone stock but I have this sudden loss of power at about 3k rpms if Im on it hard. The car pulls nice all the way up until then and after that the motor keeps reving up but then the car just falls on its face even though it sounds like its trying to do more.

I was paying attention to the road so I didnt notice the boost gauge because my first reaction was to check the rear view for a dreaded cloud of smoke, got lucky there:eek: but this is still bothering me and Im really hoping its that belt of unknown age with many cracks in it that is causing my issues (got a almost new set in the closet from my last SC).

One other thing, I noticed that the 94+ models have a metal spring in the lower hose to keep it from collapsing and I need to remove this hose to change the belts. Any tricks to this or is it as simple as removing the hose clamps and pulling the hose off and reversing for installation, I just dont want to get half way into changing my belts/hoses and coolant just to end up stuck in the parking lot or at school because of bad planning....I really need to change both the belts and hoses before I get stranded somewhere:(

The car pulls nice all the way up until then and after that the motor keeps reving up but then the car just falls on its face even though it sounds like its trying to do more.

start with next time you test, glance at the boost gauge.

another note. Just getting a belt on that fits is not always sufficient. The tensioners have a hard stop on them. If the tensioner pointer is near the replace marking, when the engine rpms come with the belt under load, it will stretch enough that the tensioner hits it's stop, causing the belt to no longer be under tension. This allows the pulley to slip.

You only need to pull the lower radiator hose to replace the main accessory drive belt. The blower belts can be replaced without removing the lower radiator hose. If you drain coolant out of the SC, you need to re-fill it in the proper manner which includes opening the vent tube on the thermostat housing to release air.

You only need to pull the lower radiator hose to replace the main accessory drive belt. The blower belts can be replaced without removing the lower radiator hose. If you drain coolant out of the SC, you need to re-fill it in the proper manner which includes opening the vent tube on the thermostat housing to release air.

Ill check the tensioner out, hopefully if that one is shot the other one I have in my closet. I need to pull all of the hoses and belts and replace every one of them as well as the thermostat and water pump. When I took the radiator cap off it was clear that the hoses are falling apart on the inside and as with the belts, I dont want to end up stranded so I still need to know whats the deal with the lower hose.

Also, do you guys think these O2 sensors are up to par http://www.ebay.com/itm/330591119255?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 , my exhaust is bent and the big bodied Bosch ones wont fit inbetween the exhaust and the body of the car so I was hoping that these stock looking ones would fit, being half the price is also a nice benifit as well

Last edited:
I like Bosch better but the ones he mentions are Borg-Warner and they have a good name in aftermarket parts too. If you need them due to clearance you should be ok.

Back