ABS and Brakes

AB's91SC

I have a 91SC and I'm having trouble with the brakes and would like to hear your thoughts on this. The brake pedal is hard and have no brakes what so ever. The brake and abs light are on all the time. When I press the brakes I hear a like a motor running or a pump. Now I hear that the ABS unit has to be replaced or rebuilt. It's this the case or is it that I have a bad accumulator or something else. I did change the relay and the problem persists. Anyone had anything similar to this before.:confused:

Thanks

My brakes are hard too, however. I am still able to stop the car. It just takes more strength. ABS Pump is off. Either broke, incorrect readings or otherwise.
Its a pain to get to as well.

If you can hear your ABS pump motor running, does it shut off after a while if you don't press the brake pedal....

If so, then you have a worn out accumulator....

My brakes are hard too, however. I am still able to stop the car. It just takes more strength. ABS Pump is off. Either broke, incorrect readings or otherwise.
Its a pain to get to as well.

It's not as hard as you think.....

I can have one out in about an hour....

It's harder to install than to remove.....:p

Do you have 12v power to the pump....

Does the car ever sit for long periods of time....

When brake fluid starts leaking from the pump motor (the seal between the motor and the pump has gone bad)....

This will eventually cause corrosion inside the motor and lock it up....

So far, I've only heard of one actual pump that went bad....

Most times, the pump motor goes bad.....

The seals inside the master cylinder can go bad, but I have yet to see one....

If water gets into the unit, it's junk....:p

When brake fluid starts leaking from the pump motor (the seal between the motor and the pump has gone bad)....

This will eventually cause corrosion inside the motor and lock it up....

So far, I've only heard of one actual pump that went bad....

Most times, the pump motor goes bad.....

The seals inside the master cylinder can go bad, but I have yet to see one....

If water gets into the unit, it's junk....:p

Make that four bad pumps. I have three - one of which sprays brake fluid almost as fast as you can pour it in on top.

RwP

When mine blew it SPEWED fluid out the bottom all over the exhaust and it smoked like it was on fire!!

There is a vent on the bottom of the brake motor.....

Brake fluid will leak out at the vent....

The exhaust just happens to run right under that spot.....:rolleyes:

There is a vent on the bottom of the brake motor.....

Brake fluid will leak out at the vent....

The exhaust just happens to run right under that spot.....:rolleyes:

Yah. The last one thought it was a windshield washer - and coated the windshield, the cowl cover, the shock tower, and the underside of the hood.

And yes, ONE was spraying towards the power steering pump.

So at least two are hard pump failures.

The third one was slow (just dripping down on the cat), so it's possible it wasn't as bad a failure as I thought it was. Still a failure.

RwP

Back