Door seals - wind noise

manofdestiny2

Has anyone had trouble with the doors not forming a good seal? Mine happens to be the drivers' side door on a 1990. The weather stripping is all good, but the top of the door seperates from the roof after I close it.

I think one of the hinges might be slightly loose so that the door drops down when it is closed, but there is very little wiggle. There is a growing crack in my windshield and I suspect the two problems are related. I wondered if anyone encountered a similar problem.

Can you see the door dropping down when you close it from the outside? If so, then your lower hinge pin is probably worn out.

Yes, yes I can. Only a cm or so, but it's noticable. It's like it closes all the way but bounces down and back a little. Thanks for the tip!

Look all around the out side edge of the door....

Is it flush with the rest of the body when it is closed....

Sounds like you might have to adjust the door a little bit....

Look all around the out side edge of the door....

Is it flush with the rest of the body when it is closed....

Sounds like you might have to adjust the door a little bit....

If you can see up-and-down movement at the rear upper corner of the door, though ... either the hinge pin is worn out, or something is broken.

Changed hinge pins

So I replaced the hinge pins and bushings this past weekend. The door swings shut straight and doesn't drop down anymore. It does, however, bounce back out a little bit. Everything lines up correctly and the door latches fine.

I'm going to try replacing the striker next.

Last edited:
So I replaced the hinge pins and bushings this past weekend. The door swings shut straight and doesn't drop down anymore. It does, however, bounce back out a little bit. Everything lines up correctly and the door latches fine.

I'm going to try replacing the striker next.

Nice job.

Is the plastic bushing still on the striker? It often gets cut through when the door sags down over time. If it is still there, it may just need an adjustment. It can be tricky to get the position just right. If there is no plastic bushing, then you need to buy a new stiker pin and bushing from the HELP! section of your local parts store. You can't buy just the plastic alone - the kit with a few different sizes doesn't include the right one for us.

Also in the HELP! section. I forget the part number ... but I am sure you can find it by searching this site.

Back