Blown head gasket

secondchildhood

I am picking up a 91 5 speed with a blown head gasket...what can i expect to pay for this type of repair?? Also what things should i check for before i close the deal? Annything to look for?

Check for water in the oil.....

Then check all front end parts for wear....

Open the drivers door all the way, grab lower corner, and lift up and down.....

Any movement indicates a worn out door hinge.....

with a blown hg and the guy is selling it like that it indicates that he doesnt want to put money into it. expect alot of stuff to be bad. most all of these cars being sold are either high dollar fixed up cars or in real need of alot of work.

there are for the most part 2 kinds of people that have these. there is a 3rd but not many. the 2 common types are
A: the guy that works hard on it, makes everything perfect and baby's it from that point on
B: the guy that drives it like he stole it and once its nearly destroyed they toss it off typically attempting to get more than its worth
and then the rare 3rd
C: the guy (like me) that works on it nonstop and still drives it like he stole it knowing he will have to work on it some more

A few other things....

Check for rust on the rocker panels under the ground effects (pay attention to the area just in front of the rear wheels)...

Put a fully charged battery in and check the functions of every electrical device (seats, door locks, windows, radio, lights, fan, etc.)....

Check for proper functioning of the ABS system (can you hear the pump motor running, does it shut off after the accumulator is charged)....

Will the engine turn over (hydro locked) :confused: .....

Make sure all keys work in all the locks (don't forget about the glove box)...:p

Back