Couple questions on my new SC....

94scdude

So i found a guy that didnt want a 17 year old car and was almsot willing to give it away!! 94 SC, auto, white with gray leather interior, with every option available...couldnt pass it up for the price. Looking for a few opinions on things....

**I dont want to do much to the car because its such a clean original car, but what small mods can i do to umph her up a little? I already took the air silencer off helped a little, im leaning towards 10% pulley and exhaust? Any opinions will help!

**Whats the best way to lower a SC? What springs and how far does it go down, any pics of your cars would help too. Do the lowering springs effect the firm ride on these cars? And im sure that it'll have to be aligned afterwards..right?

So i found a guy that didnt want a 17 year old car and was almsot willing to give it away!! 94 SC, auto, white with gray leather interior, with every option available...couldnt pass it up for the price. Looking for a few opinions on things....

**I dont want to do much to the car because its such a clean original car, but what small mods can i do to umph her up a little? I already took the air silencer off helped a little, im leaning towards 10% pulley and exhaust? Any opinions will help!

**Whats the best way to lower a SC? What springs and how far does it go down, any pics of your cars would help too. Do the lowering springs effect the firm ride on these cars? And im sure that it'll have to be aligned afterwards..right?
I would go with an aluminum cold air intake first. The pulley and exhaust is a good idea as well, seeing as SC's respond really well to opened up exhaust and smaller pulleys. Here is a link to a site that has custom bent tubing for Thunderbird exhaust systems...

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/

And as far as muffler and manifold wise, the Borla Pro XS mufflers are the best sounding mufflers I have heard on a Super Coupe. You can also do Mustang tubular headers, but the drivers side header will need to be modified to clear the steering shaft. If you really wanna throw down the $$$, you can pick up a set of Kooks headers for the SC. With those minor mods, I'm pretty sure you will be a happy person driving the car after the mods.

As far as springs go, I wouldn't know. My SC was never lowered. If you check the non-technical discussion part of the boards, I think a few pages back there was a thread about lowering SC's.

Stay away from the mustang tube headers.. they actually do not flow as well as the stock manifolds that have been ported out at the exit.

With a 94 blower, don't go over 5% OD on it, not worth it unless you get at least a DIC on the car.

Fraser

Stay away from the mustang tube headers.. they actually do not flow as well as the stock manifolds that have been ported out at the exit.

With a 94 blower, don't go over 5% OD on it, not worth it unless you get at least a DIC on the car.

Fraser

Frazier's correct, stay away from the Mustang manifolds. The biggest restriction in the exhaust is the resonator, replace it with an aftermarket one. The rest of the exhaust will be fine for what you want.

In case you're wondering what a DIC is, it's short for Double Intercooler, Ken Wagner on this site makes the best ones so look him up.

I'd recommend underdrive pulleys if your not planning on running power hungry stuff like a high output audio system. They work as advertised in my experience. A Magnum Powers inlet plunem would also be a good basic mod but you should also open up the intake some by replaceing the stock air tube, ect. For lowering springs I'd recommend H&R springs if you can find them. Tire Rack used to have them for SC's but I don't see them there anymore. I my be a little bias because I have H&R's on both of my SC's but I have no regrets what so ever with my choice. They lower 1.6"s in front and 1.4"s in the rear I believe. I have no experience with Eibach springs but I have seen where some people complain of a floaty/spongy ride after installing them. Lowering springs won't have any effect on the function of firm ride but may have an effect on the feel of the ride in general. This is a picture of my 95 SC with H@R lowering springs.

white1.jpg

Last edited:
I'll add that searching for a less restrictive, but just as effective, filter on the factory air box works better than some of the "CAIs" that just open a cone filter up into the engine bay.

Your SC ALREADY has a cold air intake.

K&N filters get their low restriction by not filtering as well, it's the oil that does the actual filtering. And too much oil in a K&N == oil sucked over MAF == MAF fouled == car runs like fecal matter, so I'd recommend NOT use a K&N.

Your choice, of course.

RwP

You can cut your stock coils to lower the car. I cut 1 full coil off the front. You kinda have to do a full coil at a time on the front for it to sit back in its place. It improved the handling and the ride is sporty. If you measure your top coil from its top to the top of the second, it'll give you an idea of how much it'll lower it. I think mine lowered a little more than an inch.

IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOURSELF, THE CAR AND OTHERS AROUND YOU DO NOT CUT YOUR SPRINGS. cutting the springs will weaken them. he said she said they said its all bs, they will weaken and you will run a risk of them snapping on you and possibly killing yourself and/or someone around you. at the price eibach is selling springs for you can make that much standing at an overpass for a day begging for money.

No, it doesn't weaken them. Use a zip wheel on a grinder to make the cut. Don't ever weld spring steel. All is good

Back