Out of the game

Young-SC-Owner

Hey guys, Its been a great 7 years with the birds, and an even better 6 years here. Im out of the SC game for the foreseeable future. It was just too hard to try and find parts around here. And not to mention I needed a different vehicle for my line of work. So she is sold, Ill still be around here. In the midwest forums. Trying to help when it can be noticed. Matt (35thauto) has dibs on all the manuals and spare parts, so if ya need anything looked up ask for him! I know he has the material! haha. Thanks guys.

Tony

Ps...Im over on powerstroke nation (cough cough) ;)

Attachments

• IMAG0279.jpg
    IMAG0279.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMAG0449.jpg
    IMAG0449.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 191
Nice truck, You won't find repairs on them cheap at all however. I just got done doing some front end work that doesn't really amount to much and the parts exceeded $1500 (front hubs are expensive)
Hopefully you come by a deal you can't turn down, you'll miss the whine and a car that can go into a corner hard and come out with some speed left.
Alan

Thats funny right there. I don't care who you are. None the less, you will be back...They ALWAYS come back. Just do a search for 89tird. He was gone for a while, Tim was gone for a while. There are others, but these two are on the last few posts I have seen.

SWS

Nice truck. I have a F350 7.3L. I have owned it for 6 years and have 163K on it now. Like Alan said they are not cheap to fix. I have replaced all ball joints, up pipes, IPR, cam sensor (twice), water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, turbo o-rings, rebuilt trans (went due to trans line got cut). I have 6.0L intercooler, HX line, S&B cold air intake, 4 position flip chip, trans temp gauge, boost gauge, exhaust temp guage, upgraded fuel pump, upgrade trans when rebuilt (thanks to Alan). I am looking at exhaust now and maybe injectors in the future. 7.3L are expensive to modify also. Good luck with yours. BTW check out www.dieselstop.com or www.dieselgarage.com. They are very resourceful.

Ken

Good luck with your future endeavors.

Like others said... YOU'LL BE BACK!!

I am one of those. Sold my first SC in 2001 and FINALLY came back in 2009.
NEVER leaving again!

FYI, that is why my member number is so low...
I was SCCA before it was SCCoA. Still have my hardcopy original Chargin' Thunder newsletters.
Like the country song...
I was SC before SC was cool.

Nice truck. I have a F350 7.3L. I have owned it for 6 years and have 163K on it now. Like Alan said they are not cheap to fix. I have replaced all ball joints, up pipes, IPR, cam sensor (twice), water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, turbo o-rings, rebuilt trans (went due to trans line got cut). I have 6.0L intercooler, HX line, S&B cold air intake, 4 position flip chip, trans temp gauge, boost gauge, exhaust temp guage, upgraded fuel pump, upgrade trans when rebuilt (thanks to Alan). I am looking at exhaust now and maybe injectors in the future. 7.3L are expensive to modify also. Good luck with yours. BTW check out www.dieselstop.com or www.dieselgarage.com. They are very resourceful.

Ken
No wonder your SCs have been parked for so long with all of the mods happening to your truck. Mine just turned 165k miles. I've replaced ball joints, the HP oil system hoses, more glo-plug relays than I care to count, power steering pump and recently had to replace the rear brake line that runs the length of the truck because the original line rusted through. Also, I started losing the clear coat on the passenger fender and door, but I think that was caused more be neglect of not waxing it regularly.

I had always figured I would do some mods, but usually ended up spending mod money on my car. At this point, I will likely be replacing it in 2-3 years with my buddy's 2008 F350 crew cab, as my soon-to-be 3 kids won't be able to fit in my Extra-Cab with their booster and car seats.

No wonder your SCs have been parked for so long with all of the mods happening to your truck. Mine just turned 165k miles. I've replaced ball joints, the HP oil system hoses, more glo-plug relays than I care to count, power steering pump and recently had to replace the rear brake line that runs the length of the truck because the original line rusted through. Also, I started losing the clear coat on the passenger fender and door, but I think that was caused more be neglect of not waxing it regularly.

I had always figured I would do some mods, but usually ended up spending mod money on my car. At this point, I will likely be replacing it in 2-3 years with my buddy's 2008 F350 crew cab, as my soon-to-be 3 kids won't be able to fit in my Extra-Cab with their booster and car seats.

Correction, the 92 is running and has been since 08. The 93 is getting a short block replaced. I hope to have that running later this month. I have only gone thru 3 short blocks to find one were the bearings aren't beat to death or when someone rebuilds them they don't try to install a part that doesn't fit. :mad:

When you buy that 08, remove that DPF. Watch your diesel mileage go up.

Wow...I just realized my SC has been down for 5 years now. Sux when you have to stop a project to post.:D Soon though...may have a SBF, but it will run again.

SWS

Yeah I got a STEAL on it, Its a late 99, F350 Short bed, ex cab, 6 speed. walked out the door for 8K had 100,600 Miles on it.

So far, Ive done exhaust, A Pillar Gauges, New southbend clutch, PP, flywheel. Programmer, and manual WARN lockers.

Im not saying I wont be back. I just needed a truck, hands down. Heck im getting almost 18mpg in this turd! Thats what Id like to say is my equivalent of "city" driving. cant wait to see how it does without winter blend.

This weekend the truck is getting its new uhf radio, strobes, LED's, and siren.:D

Im on the powerstroke.org, and powerstrokenation.

When you buy that 08, remove that DPF. Watch your diesel mileage go up.

That and get a used/rebuilt FICM, new stainless/rebuilt oil cooler, turbo, and a spare GPC or two and you will be in buisiness.

The 6.0 is the bolt on king for power, but that comes at a price. The turbo vv setup sucks. They lift heads and studs cost a bunch...espically since you have to lift the cab off of the truck to do them.

SWS

Very interesting, this thread is, because I was thinking of starting a similar one. And although I am not completely SC-less, my son is purchasing my '92 from me, I am no longer actively driving or working on it. I needed something more reliable as a daily driver so I purchased a '10 Challenger R/T. :)

The 7.3L is the best one out there for sure. Mine had 207k on it when I got rid of it about 6 months ago. Never touched the engine...Other than a waterpump and Alternator. Im not going to bash the 6.0L I will just say to skip it unless you have a ton of extra cash you would like to throw in the garbage. They run great when they are well, but its just a matter of time. The 6.4L solved many of the issues that the 6.4L had, namely the HPOP problems. They use a high pressure fuel system to fire the injectors, instead of the High Pressure Oil system. This solved many issues that the 6.Ol had alone in itself. However, with the Regen system and The DPF it has caused other issues. In order to Regenerate (Clean)the Dual Particulate Filter in the exhaust, the system over fuels the rear two cylinders. This leads to excessive heat and failure of the dual turbo unit. If I were to buy one (6.4L) I would immediately ditch the DPF and have the Regeneration programmed out of the PCM. Other wise it is major $$$ down the road and like the 6.0L, is just a matter of time....
The 6.4L also still has major EGR cooler problems like the 6.0L does. Only the 6.4L cooler is 4 times as large and costly....beware...

And if you are interested and have some spare time. GO to Youtube and look up Powerstroke help. It is an owner of a repair shop out of Atlanta. Tons of informative videos for all the powerstrokes. I know a lot about them, but learned a few things myself watching them...
Here is one of them....http://www.youtube.com/user/powerstrokehelp?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/0/TfLI1QZgyJc

Not getting into the debate, but the 6.0 I have had for 7 years and it has been down a total of 5 days. 3 of those days were so I could put ARP studs in it, because I did lift the head pulling 27k at 85mph to get home through the Rockies.

It got me to IL and then back to NE to get them replaced. It wasn't the trucks fault it was mine for pushing it that hard. Put 45k on it the first year I had it pulling the entire time with runs from MN to CO and back.

6.0 is a great motor and has been around for almost 40 years now. I would very much like a new 6.7 though. Have it in our 550 and does it move.

If you are wanting an IC for your 7.3 let me know. Probably get one for around $200 or so.

If you guys need parts for your SDs let me know. I have a parts vendor that will be very kind to you.

powerstroke.org is a good site as well as superdutydiesel. Havent been on oilburners.net for years, but it should still be around.

Not getting into the debate, but the 6.0 I have had for 7 years and it has been down a total of 5 days. 3 of those days were so I could put ARP studs in it, because I did lift the head pulling 27k at 85mph to get home through the Rockies.

It got me to IL and then back to NE to get them replaced. It wasn't the trucks fault it was mine for pushing it that hard. Put 45k on it the first year I had it pulling the entire time with runs from MN to CO and back.

6.0 is a great motor and has been around for almost 40 years now. I would very much like a new 6.7 though. Have it in our 550 and does it move.

If you are wanting an IC for your 7.3 let me know. Probably get one for around $200 or so.

If you guys need parts for your SDs let me know. I have a parts vendor that will be very kind to you.

powerstroke.org is a good site as well as superdutydiesel. Havent been on oilburners.net for years, but it should still be around.

The reason it lifted the heads is that the head bolt diameter is too small for the 40psi+ boost levels. You just worked yours a little harder and they failed sooner. They will run a long time after the head are lifting or gaskets are blown, they just push some coolant out of the bottle. The 6.0L isnt a 40 year old engine. It was a clean sheet design for 2003.5. It also caused 1 billion in warranty claims over the 2003-2004 model years. It has so many problems that is severed International and Fords 4 decade partnership/Agreement for diesel engine supply. Ford Sued International for poor engine design and engineering(And reimbursment for the warranty claims). International Sued Ford for the Emmisions systems they added to their design. It is the reason Ford now designs their own diesel engines(6.7L). Im just stating some facts here. Not putting your truck down. Im sure it is a good one...

This Navistar is 40 years old. It was first put into use back in the 70s and put out just over 200hp.

I prefer the cummins, but my back cant handle the ride anymore. :)

Young SC has seen my truck. Pulled an SC from his house with it. Wonder where that SC ever ended up?????

The 6.0L shares nothing with the 6.9L and 7.3L Navistars/Internationals you are referring to. Absolutely nothing....

Last edited:
Back