Headlight replacement bulb question

I have ones like this listed & I love em. I do get 2 of the same set becouse they will fail one at a time & you will have 2 more to add as needed so they will match. Might I suggest you get the wire harness mod http://www.competitionlimited.com/harness.htm you must have this to run high watt bulbs. All this will be of no help unless you have new lenses. I did this & have been very glad. I seldom need high beams the lows are that good. Pictures can not do the justice of the improvement.The lenses are $120 & the harness is $60 + S&H. on Gen 1 SC's. & aprox. $60 for Gen2's Was the best $ spent & improved margin of safety at night. When you encounter a moron with their high beams on you can flash them & the get the message!

Matt

Whoa! Didn't know it was all that involved. I just wanted something to swap in. I think i'll pass...thanks for the suggestions though. Glad i just didn't buy them.

I wanted to buy some Silverstars, but they are alot of money. I've used super white bulbs from Ebay on my Nissan a while back and they worked great. These say they are filled with Xenon gas. huh? Will these give the dreaded glare and get me pulled over? I just wanted some knock off silverstars. Any help would be appreciated! thanks!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9006...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

umm, you live in Chicago, your going to get pulled over anyways. 1 thing i have been looking at is converting over to hid lights. working on a hud system first then will be moving to the lighting. pretty much it looks like ill have to custom fab new mounting in the housing. i cant seem to find an all out conversion kit for our birds.

Yeah, live in Chicago. I thought these were just direct replacement? they are not HID lights, but 9005 halogen like headlight bulbs filled with xenon gas. Or so they say, i don't know much about these headlights. Like i said, i just wanted generic silverstars on the cheap where i don't have to make any wiring changes.

Yeah, live in Chicago. I thought these were just direct replacement? they are not HID lights, but 9005 halogen like headlight bulbs filled with xenon gas. Or so they say, i don't know much about these headlights. Like i said, i just wanted generic silverstars on the cheap where i don't have to make any wiring changes.

If you want the same brightness as Silverstars, buy the Sylvania Xtravision bulbs.

If you want the same look as Silverstars, well, I don't know what is cheaper ... But Silverstars are pretty overpriced. They are like the Xtravisions, but they have a blue tint on the glass, and then they overwork the filaments to get the same lumens out through the now-tinted glass. That is why they burn out so often. I don't see what justifies the higher cost, especially when they burn out more often!

I'm beginning to think all this "going on the cheap stuff" isn't worth it. I'll just buy silverstars and be done with it! At least i know they work. :)

I have a set of HIDs in my 94, look good and easy to install. Just plug up the wires and mount the ballast, simple. I got 9007 bulbs in mine with only one beam, they can be ordered with dual beams but cost more. I got mine off of this website, maybe try these. You can get them in all diff colors, yellow, white, blue green of even purple. I got whitish blue in my white SC and they look pretty good.

http://electronicfiend.com/

do not waste your time on the silverstar xtravisions. no different than stock. the ultrastars are the way to go. 50 bucks regular, autozone has for 40 every third month... (40 for a pair)

also, one of the major reasons to bulbs poping is moisture in the connector. there is a "bulb grease" that is dielectric grease that works wonders.. just my .02 cents

do not waste your time on the silverstar xtravisions. no different than stock. the ultrastars are the way to go. 50 bucks regular, autozone has for 40 every third month... (40 for a pair)

also, one of the major reasons to bulbs poping is moisture in the connector. there is a "bulb grease" that is dielectric grease that works wonders.. just my .02 cents

thats what i got. still didnt do so great until i removed the bulb shrouds from inside of the housings and refinished the lenses to clear

search on ebay, there are many HID conversions for the 9005 bulb. the HID bulb that comes in the kit will fit the lamp just like the factory one does but have a large red and black wire coming out of back of it. that goes to the ignitor and control module which is supplied power by the stock headlamp harness.

they are anywhere from 35 bucks a set up to 200-300 for the set. my wifes set was 48 dollars and has been in her car for two years now. the light output is almost as good as BMW or Mercedes but the design of the headlamp is not ideal.

but what ever kit you do get run the system with agood relay to take the load off the stock harness wiring.

I'll toss my two cents in.

1) DDM Tuning ( www.ddmtuning.com ) gives exemplary customer service, and even has the brackets to help mount the ballasts.

2) If you've got 9005s, you've also got 9006s. I'd look hard at upgrading the high beams, and leaving the low beams halogens. However, - BEFORE you change the bulbs, a) clean the lenses, and b) add the relay wiring harness. Period. NOTHING will do you as much good as those two, and any improvements really NEED both to work right.

Otherwise, you might as well try "pissing on a five alarm fire to put it out" as it were. Too much money spent on too little benefit.

Think about this - how much good would it do to get contacts to see better, if you keep your eyes closed?

RwP

One problem with using HIDs for the high beams is that they take a little while to warm up. Some HID-equipped cars get around that problem by using halogens for the high beams, and HIDs for the low beams. Some get around it by using one set of HIDs all the time, and re-aiming / re-focusing the beams to switch between low and high. So "flash to pass" may not quite work with HID high beams in a static installation.

I agree, though ... I would clean the lights and install the relays before doing anything else.

I had a set of the dual beam HIDs in a cougar i had, the high beams worked fine and didnt have to warm up. they was a yellow like your regular headlights and the low beam was the blue HID lights. They was more expensive but was worth the money. I wouldnt buy a cheap $30 set of HIDs if you do, last thing you wanna do is get a cheap set and they go out in 6 months.

I have HID's that i got from ebay payed 75 bucks it's been two years now and no problem yet and they look awsome i got the diamond white heat range or whatever they call it.

Back