help with 89 supercoupe radio , wont play ,cant hear nothing

Transam1170

hi i have a 89 supercoupe and the radio wont play any stations all it does is keep scanning, could it be the amp? thanks

Hmm, if it keeps scanning without stopping I would think your antenna isn't plugged in correctly. Take it out and sneak a peak.

yea but i dont even have a scratchey noise coming out of the speakers could that be on the same lines of the attenna problem?

yea but i dont even have a scratchey noise coming out of the speakers could that be on the same lines of the attenna problem?

I forget on the early models but I think there are three connectors that need to be plugged in the back. One plug has the ground, 12V and 12V variable etc…

The other plug has your speakers and then the other plug being your antenna, making it three objects that need to be plugged in.

Take it out and make sure all those are plugged in correctly.

Is it a stock radio or a JBL....

First thing to check is if the antenna is hooked up properly....

Insert a cassette tape to see if that works....

its a stock radio factory ford, but has the jbl speakers and factory ford perfomance amps, with the factory sub

So the JBL system.

One, try a cassette tape in the deck and see if it makes sound.

If not, check the plugs to the amp in the package deck and make sure it's not loose there.

If it's broken - there's folks that have the JBL amps, and also there's Paul Protos ( TwoTimeSC ) who does a bangup fine job fixing these things.

RwP

plugs not loose and we got another radio out of a wrecked car and its still doing the same thing, the yellow wire has power to the amp and theres a blue and red wire there with no power i wish i had a wiring diagram, is it possible that the amp could be bad? cause im not getting any sound out of the speakers when i have a radio station on

plugs not loose and we got another radio out of a wrecked car and its still doing the same thing, the yellow wire has power to the amp and theres a blue and red wire there with no power i wish i had a wiring diagram, is it possible that the amp could be bad? cause im not getting any sound out of the speakers when i have a radio station on

The blue and red wire - where are they?

Wiring diagrams are readily available - check, for instance, http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Ford-Wiring.asp (color codes and IDs in the first part, the actual layout in the second part) for the radio.

If you need it, I can scan and post the relevant portions of the EVTM, but I'd HIGHLY recommend you buying one (I found mine on eBay, say for instance, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989...90285035724QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature for a current auction for the 1989.

And, of course, I have to ask - which amp are you measuring power for? The one on the bottom of the subwoofer (which is FOR the subwoofer only)? Or the one on the package tray (which does the four speakers inside)?

RwP

This may sound stupid, but are the speakers plugged into the wiring harness....

One other thing....

Has the main radio wiring harness been compromised or modified in any way.....

Last edited:
everything seems to be wired up properly inless the factory cd changer thats near the dash has something to do with it cause it isnt getting any power at all it wont even eject.

So what you have here is a stock AM/FM cassette player...

The radio should have two flat plugs going into the back, not one flat plug and one squarish plug (JBL radio)....

Make sure the wires going to the speakers are connected.....

I've seen this happen before....:rolleyes:

Here is a wiring diagram for the premium stereo in the 89 hope it helps.

Attachments

• 89 cd player radio page 1.pdf
    109.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 89 cd player radio page 2.pdf
    97.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
If you have a JBL unit and do not have the CD player, there needs to be a thingy plugged into the CD port on the back of the radio....

everything seems to be wired up properly inless the factory cd changer thats near the dash has something to do with it cause it isnt getting any power at all it wont even eject.

That might.

If you pull the radio out, look on the back. There's a cable (6 wire, with a 6 pin connector) that goes down to the in-dash CD player. From the back, it's the top right connector, above the audio-out connector. If the two pairs of pins on it aren't shorted together, then you won't get audio past the dead CD player.

Hmm ...

Looking at the one on my desk (a later CD head unit I'm fixing to give CD capability to the car until I build an adapter to let me hook an MP3 player up), the top pins are shorted to the middle pins on the 6 pin connector.

That is, it should look like this:

o o
I I
o o

o o

By my measurements, the pins are .100" apart, so a pair of old computer "programming jumpers" should fit to short them out and bypass the dead CD deck until you can get it to Paul Protos ( TwoTimeSC ) and get it fixed. See if you can find a pair with tabs on them, so you can pull it easier later.

I'd try that first.

RwP

Back