stall then no start

scx

Crusing on the highway for an hour when suddenly the engine turned off with no warning... had to have it towed home.
no choking coughing or sputtering. its getting spark and fuel. when it does turn on it runs smoothly to 2000rpm for 2sec then right back down to 0 as if i turned off the ign.
im stumped. thanks for any info just bought this one last week

Where are you located at? If someone is near they may come take a look and help you out.

I would go out and grab the crank pulley and see if you can move it in and out or around at all. The crank may have walked on you.

What year is it? Replaced any pulleys or balancer as of late? More info would be helpful.

Crusing on the highway for an hour when suddenly the engine turned off with no warning... had to have it towed home.
no choking coughing or sputtering. its getting spark and fuel. when it does turn on it runs smoothly to 2000rpm for 2sec then right back down to 0 as if i turned off the ign.
im stumped. thanks for any info just bought this one last week

If it is getting spark, then the crank sensor must be giving out some sort of a signal. That doesn't mean it's the correct signal (which is what BirdofPrey97 was getting at with looking to make sure the balancer and the sensor vanes are intact and in the right position), but if it's not even sputtering, then I don't think that's the problem.

You say it is getting fuel ... Obviously, it's enough fuel to run for about 2 seconds. But what happens after that? Did you check the fuel pressure? I think the fuel pump relay might have two positions - one for cranking, and one for running. Maybe the pump relay is the issue? I don't have a wiring diagram around ... but maybe someone else has one handy?

its a 95 auto, ported blower, 15psi, huge cold air intake. last owner was a club member and never had a problem. checked pulley just now with a prybar seems fine no play at all. the engine runs strong and quiet starts every time real easy, idles perfect shifts perfect. i figure its an electrical gremlin but i looked everywhere i could think of. all the vac lines are fine (not cracked at all) it will turn over for 30ish sec then start up and shut off as soon as its on. all acc work fine. its sat for a cpl days now still no sign of starting.
Im in vancouver

ill check the pump relay today. i can hear it click when i turn the ign to the on position. after that the engine cranking drowns it out

I changed two fuel pumps for an issue that was just like that, I refused to believe that the brand new CCRM, Rockauto, was bad.

It was, ohmed it out and sure enough was bad. The relay would prime the motor most times, then nothing at all. So the car fired up to 2k and then died. So it felt like it was not a fuel issue.

Justin

Excellent. I don't have a voltmeter at the moment but i don't hear any clicks after the prime stage. I hope that's it should have it sorted today if it is thanks

Back