Good exhaust system on a budget

sonrider657

The exhaust on my '94 SC has a leak somewhere that needs to be fixed so I figure that it is a good time for an upgrade. What do you recommend that will not break the bank. I do not want it to be very loud (a little louder than stock is fine but not LOUD).

Port the exhaust manifold exits, then replace the resonator with a Y pipe and leave the cats on.... your good to go.

My car had a quiet little burble to it at idle with that setup, and wasn't loud. I ran 5% OD with no issues.

Fraser

Borla cat back

I have a borla catback for sale....these have a nice deep tone and eliminates your stock resonator which is the big restriction....Borlas are very well made and this one is in great shape...email vwocrs@aol.com ..if you are interested in it.

Thanks!

Magnaflow offers an excellent y-pipe with cats. It's 2.0" which is good enough for up to 300rwhp, is mandrel bent stainless steel, and it includes high flow cats. The only thing is, for the 94's you can only get it as a system (all 3 cats). Most of us ditch the 3rd cat so it sucks to pay for something you might not want to use. Nonetheless, that is the only decent y-pipe out there.

Y-pipe.

Then the only cat back exhaust I recommend is the Flowmaster kit.

Cat back.

If you ditch the 3rd cat you'll want to get the resonator that goes with this system.

Resonator.

Not cheap when you consider that is about $700 for the two pieces, $880 with resonator, but you are getting quality stuff that will sound good and fit well. You can also go to an exhaust shop and take your chances but I think you'll find that you spend nearly as much and you'll have no assurances as to how well it will fit or what it will sound like. Lots of people on here have gone and had local shops fab stuff up or even fabbed it themselves, but in many cases the end result is not as nice as the internet might lead you to believe. ;)

In this case you are getting all mandrel bent piping, stainless steel y-pipe, and a system that will not only sound nice but will support as I said up to 300rwhp efficiently.

The borla system is a lifetime system that would outlast the Flowmaster and never rust....It includes the resonator back. vwocrs@aol.com...750.00 new...I would part with it for much, much less.

Let me know.

Magnaflow offers an excellent y-pipe with cats. It's 2.0" which is good enough for up to 300rwhp, is mandrel bent stainless steel, and it includes high flow cats. The only thing is, for the 94's you can only get it as a system (all 3 cats). Most of us ditch the 3rd cat so it sucks to pay for something you might not want to use. Nonetheless, that is the only decent y-pipe out there.

Y-pipe.

Then the only cat back exhaust I recommend is the Flowmaster kit.

Cat back.

If you ditch the 3rd cat you'll want to get the resonator that goes with this system.

Resonator.

Not cheap when you consider that is about $700 for the two pieces, $880 with resonator, but you are getting quality stuff that will sound good and fit well. You can also go to an exhaust shop and take your chances but I think you'll find that you spend nearly as much and you'll have no assurances as to how well it will fit or what it will sound like. Lots of people on here have gone and had local shops fab stuff up or even fabbed it themselves, but in many cases the end result is not as nice as the internet might lead you to believe. ;)

In this case you are getting all mandrel bent piping, stainless steel y-pipe, and a system that will not only sound nice but will support as I said up to 300rwhp efficiently.

i was under the impression that that y pipe would not fit without some mods!!! due to the fact its a replacment for a N/A and not Super coupe.. am i correct here, I am looking for some down pipes myself..

i plan to use the Mandrel exhaust kit others have used on here, (i know some fit and finish is required and no rear mufflers just a magna flow muffler for the resonator. Keeping cats also. although mine has only two cats.

I'm using a full dual exhaust with an x-pipe instead of a 2-in 1-out y-pipe.

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.co...ord-cln-89-dsh-97-Ford-Thunderbird/Categories

unfortunately they only make a dual exhaust kit for the 4.6l but I made their dual kit work with my SC by custom working the down tubes (cats) and welding in a 2"-2.5" reducer. I'm using magnaflow mufflers, straight through design. Its LOUD, but thats because I'm using straight through mufflers. If I were to do it again I'd get some quieter mufflers.

total cost was 400 for the piping, 100 for both mufflers, and a bunch of tacos to pay my friend to weld it all together.

Back