Help my car is in need

98gmarquis

i was going on the high way and the oil pressure was all the way up the car would act like its about to die like its running out of gas. all the lights flicker and all of the dummy lights come on. im changing the alternator on the 22 of feb i hope thats it. does anyone know whats happening or the name of a good mech in the mass area pleaase any help would be appricted. i just need some to tell me whats wrong and i can fix it i dont have much money or i would replace everything

Last edited:
i was going on the high way any the oil pressure was all the up the car would act like its about to die like it running out of gas all the lights flicker and im changing the alternator on the 22 of feb i hope thats it does anyone know whats happening or the name of a good mech in the mass area pleaase any help would be appricted i just need some to tell me whats wrong and i can fix it i dont have much money or i would replace everything

No offense intended, but is this in English? It is like one long run-on sentence! Maybe if you used better grammar, it would help us help you because I cannot make any sense of what you said!

No offense intended, but is this in English? It is like one long run-on sentence! Maybe if you used better grammar, it would help us help you because I cannot make any sense of what you said!

so sorry didnt know you cared that much what are you a teacher ??????

I would definitely have the alternator load tested.....

Clean the battery posts and the inside of the battery cables....

so sorry didnt know you cared that much what are you a teacher ??????

Don't know about him, but if I can toss in two cents ...

Over the Internet, it's all about communication. To communicate effectively, you should use your tools wisely.

Your original posting was the equivalent of trying to change spark plugs with a rock.

Now - to answer your question - Have you done ANY testing yet?

Or checked basic maintenance items such as the battery clamps on the ends of the battery cables? Pulled the battery and had it load tested? Had the alternator tested?

When the negative post side on the Cougar was acting up (before I replaced it), I would get these symptoms sometime if it came loose from the battery.

We also had the regulator in the alternator fail (fancy that, after the battery post clamp replacements!) and had really strange action of the gauges when the voltmeter headed to the "H" mark on the far right.

So - I'd check the routine maintenance items first, also the battery, and have the alternator checked before I swapped ANY of it.

These suggestions presume I understand what you meant with that poorly structured slaughter of English.

RwP

I hate to say this but when my head gaskets blew and dumped the contents of my radiator into the crankcase Oil pressure was way up.

Check your dipstick for that lovely brown mixture of oil and antifreeze.

regards

Where are you located in Massachusetts? I live in Millville, if your not to far maybe I could help. Have you taken a voltage reading with the car running? Why do you think he alternator is bad?

Don't know about him, but if I can toss in two cents ...

Over the Internet, it's all about communication. To communicate effectively, you should use your tools wisely.

Your original posting was the equivalent of trying to change spark plugs with a rock.

Now - to answer your question - Have you done ANY testing yet?

Or checked basic maintenance items such as the battery clamps on the ends of the battery cables? Pulled the battery and had it load tested? Had the alternator tested?

When the negative post side on the Cougar was acting up (before I replaced it), I would get these symptoms sometime if it came loose from the battery.

We also had the regulator in the alternator fail (fancy that, after the battery post clamp replacements!) and had really strange action of the gauges when the voltmeter headed to the "H" mark on the far right.

So - I'd check the routine maintenance items first, also the battery, and have the alternator checked before I swapped ANY of it.

These suggestions presume I understand what you meant with that poorly structured slaughter of English.

RwP

your right i should be clearer when i explaine something .but back to your questions. the battery is a brand new optima yellow top. the wire to the ground the fuse box and the alternator are all 1/0 gage.the battery connectors are gold plated rockford fostgate terminals. i was running 2 2500.1 kicker amps with two solo x's amps dont work anymore thats why i think my culprit is the alternator.i started hearing a whine and then the sound would start popping at high rpm .and well the alternator is the only stock thing left that could fail.i haven had the alternator tested yet but i can hear the whine of the dam thing. and i can start the car and sit in my drive way for 15 to twenty mins before the oil pressure goes up .but when it does thats when its like its starved for gas.im ready to blow the motherf..ker up but i wont .

I hate to say this but when my head gaskets blew and dumped the contents of my radiator into the crankcase Oil pressure was way up.

Check your dipstick for that lovely brown mixture of oil and antifreeze.

regards

oil is still clear and dosent smell like antifreeze that was the first thing i checked. the pressure goes down after you put your foot on the clutch.its fu.kin with me i think

Where are you located in Massachusetts? I live in Millville, if your not to far maybe I could help. Have you taken a voltage reading with the car running? Why do you think he alternator is bad?

i live in quincy ma. would love to have another opinion on the bird if you want to come down it would be appricited. i have beer or money or i would owe u a favor u choose

Do you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge ? If not, you should know the stock gauge is wired to be a glorified idiot light and doesn't actually respond to high and low oil pressure, it's an on or off deal. That means 20 psi will read the same as 90 psi.

David

I know everyone says that about the oil pressure gauge but i noticed a difference when I shimmed the check valve on the timing cover. The gauge read about 25% higher than "stock". A couple years later when I did a motor swap with a stock timing cover it went back to "normal".

Back