Timing chain guidance

Regul8r

Spent a few hours searching the site for info on timing chains.

Does our motor NEED a double roller timing chain or is a stock replacement ok?

What number for double rooler and or stock is available?
Manufactureer best place to find?
etc...

I haven't seen anywhere here on the forums about needing a double. The single seems to hold up quite well.

Fraser

I haven't seen anywhere here on the forums about needing a double. The single seems to hold up quite well.

Fraser

This is a great site if not the the greatest. This question was just rolling around in my head and hadn't had time to post it but yet again another members has the same question its perfect timing almost all my qusetions are answered before i even ask or a quick search does the trick.

I have a stock one in my 10 second 6500rpm car.:) Wish I had a double roller.

Glad to see our stock chain works.
Where did you buy the replacement chain? What brand and part #?

WHY do you wish you had a double roller?

I am not drag racing this car everyday, it is a DD that will be driven hard and with the stuff I am doing to it I am just curious if it is NEEDED or not?

It's not needed for a normal street application. Where high rpm and high valve spring pressures are involved, it becomes a benefit and then a necessity. Everyone here is using what is available - either Cloyes or Melling. Both are made in the same foundry just packaged differently and sold in different places.

I stock all internal engine parts so if you don't want to spend a lot of time digging around, just email me for prices etc. Most times getting a complete kit saves a lot of money over trying to piecemeal something together. I do custom kits all the time, just so you know.

It's not needed for a normal street application. Where high rpm and high valve spring pressures are involved, it becomes a benefit and then a necessity. Everyone here is using what is available - either Cloyes or Melling. Both are made in the same foundry just packaged differently and sold in different places.

I stock all internal engine parts so if you don't want to spend a lot of time digging around, just email me for prices etc. Most times getting a complete kit saves a lot of money over trying to piecemeal something together. I do custom kits all the time, just so you know.

Dave, you ARE the man!
as we have talked through e-mail, you know where I am at, what I am doing and what the end result will be.
I'll send you another e-mail tomorrow with the info you need so I can get the parts in a bundle from you.

What mileage should one be replaced? I have 140k on mine and need head gaskets. Ive also had one with over 200k and it still ran great...

What mileage should one be replaced? I have 140k on mine and need head gaskets. Ive also had one with over 200k and it still ran great...

They get loose after awhile (which causes slightly retarded cam timing) but I've never seen one fail from mileage and they do have a tensioner so there is no chance of jumping timing. High rpm use and high valve spring pressure put more wear on them. If the car is stock I would not worry about it.

Dave,

As I recall the original Morana double roller chain did not use a tensioner, do the current double roller chains use some type of a tensioner ?

David

Dave,

As I recall the original Morana double roller chain did not use a tensioner, do the current double roller chains use some type of a tensioner ?

David

Actually Dave, the tensioner is not required but can still be used with some modifications. I was gonna you mine and the Morana double roller that I have but I could find the info I needed to mod it. I personally would prefer to have it on there to keep tension and the chain at all times.

So what timing chain and gear set should I get?
Do I use the tensioner with it?

Just email Dave and get both from him. That way you'll be sure to get the right parts. I got my stock replacement chain and tensioner from him, 6500 rpm for me on a stocker.

Chain set with Tensioner bought!
Thanks DD!

I have to remove the timing cover to remove a broken balancer sleeve, should I replace the chain even though the car is still running great at 200,000 kms (124,274 mi)? The cover looks like it has gasket maker on it, could mean it has a newer timing chain already.

I would give it a shot. Take a close look at the tensioner as it has wear pads that may call for replacement of the tensioner. Personally, with that many KM, I'd change out the chain if I pull it open. A whole new set with gears and chain is more than reasonably priced.

Back