maf ?

1 thing i have never gotten an answer on, is why did they ever install that junk screen that everyone just pulled out anyways?

1 thing i have never gotten an answer on, is why did they ever install that junk screen that everyone just pulled out anyways?

Primary reason for doing that is to make the air flow more laminar to flow over the sensor. Ford must of felt that there was turbulence caused by the airbox and filter and wanted to clean it up before it hit the sensor.. it wasn't put there to filter anything. Once they knew more about the design, they figured it didn't make that much of a difference to warrent installing it.

This is one of the reasons why people need to understand that the MAF transfer function doesn't follow the MAF and assume it will work in another vehicle, for eg the LMAF. The function has to be adapted to the setup the MAF is installed on. Look at it this way. If it was a straight switch over without requiring any changes other than plugging in a standard transfer, then why did every single car type that Ford made did not have identical transfer functions for the same size MAF.........every car type is different.

An example of a change, taking the resonator box out from the car (the box in the fender well), will actually change how the air flows over the sensor in the MAF to the point that adaptive will need to correct for it. Now lets get rid of the whole boxed filter setup and install a 3" CAI setup but still use the stock MAF... adaptive will have to make even bigger changes now, and at this point I would recommend getting a tune to dial it back in again. Ever wonder why people end up with bad idles just after swapping in a new CAI, even with the stock MAF? There's been no adaptive applied yet, or even worse, the adaptive that had been learned was for the stock setup...... not good.

Adaptive.... take a guess what adaptive actually adjusts when it is applied by the EEC.... its a multiplier against the MAF reading when it is used for fueling calculations, and ADAPTIVE DOES NOT ALTER THE LOAD NUMBER WHICH IS USED TO CALCULATE SPARK!!!!! Now that I have your attention. This is why some people end up experiencing part throttle pinging (detonation) after a CAI change.

This is part of the reason why I just shake my head when people mod their cars, and yet tell everyone they don't want to spend the money to get the car tuned.... and they end up with blown HG's again or worse. These days, tuning is about the cheapest mod you can get that CAN make, or break, a car.

I'll step down from my soap box now, and I apologize for the long winded post. Sadly there is A LOT of bad info about MAF's etc floating around on the internet, and some of the stuff I see just leaves me bewildered.

Fraser

Back