Cobra front rotors

rzimmerl

Do I need to change my 90 front hubs to fit the Cobra rotor hub bore once I have them redrilled for the Tbird pattern?

Also anyone have any experience with brand/type of rotor to use? I am deciding between slotted or plain rotors with Hawk pads since I can get Hawk pads for the rear on a 90 Tbird. I haven't decided if I should go to the large rear Cobra rotors yet.

Since there's no gain if the rotors are the same size as the factory ones, I'm presuming you're also changing the calipers, right? If so, then yes, you'll have to not only change the spindles, but the sway bar end links, also have the caliper brackets and the calipers.

For the rear, there's some relocation brackets available.

RwP

I have already swapped spindles, since I am running GT PBR calipers for years, doing the upgrade to Cobra's now. Need to know if the 90 Tbird hub is correct for the Cobra rotor hub bore.

NO They are different for the front you need mustang ABS hub and bearing assys if you want to be hubcentric.

I have already swapped spindles, since I am running GT PBR calipers for years, doing the upgrade to Cobra's now. Need to know if the 90 Tbird hub is correct for the Cobra rotor hub bore.

Ryan,

From what I've rerad you are going to have to switch to 91-95 hubs to fit the Cobra rotor bore. I believe the rotor bore for the 89-90 SC hubs is smaller (possibly the same diameter as wheel bore). The 91-95 hub has a step up in diameter where the rotor locates which is larger than the portion of the hub that locates the wheel bore.

David

Thanks David, thats the understanding I had also about the hubs. Time to source some new ones. Did you go with KVR rotors for your 91 also?

Corey, my spindles were bare when I got them, no hubs or sway bar links.

Thanks David, thats the understanding I had also about the hubs. Time to source some new ones. Did you go with KVR rotors for your 91 also?

Corey, my spindles were bare when I got them, no hubs or sway bar links.

I haven't bought the rotors yet, but yes I'm planning to use the same cad plated KVR rotors as I put on my 93 SC.

David

Yeah you'll need SN95 GT hubs, I picked up a pair on ebay for cheap.
For rotors I went with Powerstop, very pleased with them so far.

Some information that has been posted is incorrect. You cannot use 90 hubs on a 93+ swap. The 90 hubs have a different offset by about 1/8" or so. You wouldn't think this would cause a problem but it does. The late model caliper brackets will not allow you to move the rotor (hub) even that much or they will rub. I have dealt with this issue in the past.

Some information that has been posted is incorrect. You cannot use 90 hubs on a 93+ swap. The 90 hubs have a different offset by about 1/8" or so. You wouldn't think this would cause a problem but it does. The late model caliper brackets will not allow you to move the rotor (hub) even that much or they will rub. I have dealt with this issue in the past.

Interesting info Dave, and kinda of what I was looking for. I am running 90 hubs with the GT PBR calipers, could be why I don't have the caliper float that I should and always have had a drag of pad on rotor

As far as rotor quality goes, I'm a big fan of the OEM 99-04 Cobra pieces as supplied to Ford by Brembo, XR3Z 1125 BC. Just good old plain rotors, no zoomy slots or holes, great quality that will handle abuse. Had them on my 95 SC when from when I did the conversion in 2002, and they lasted over 5 years of running, including a bunch of track days on sticky tires. Used the OEM rotors again when I did the Cobra conversion on my SHO, they have been great so far on it as well.

cheers
Ed N.

Interesting info Dave, and kinda of what I was looking for. I am running 90 hubs with the GT PBR calipers, could be why I don't have the caliper float that I should and always have had a drag of pad on rotor

Could this also be why you boiled the brake fluid at the shootout?

I doubt it. I have had the GT brakes on for about 3-4 years. I think the lady pulling out in front of us at the top of 3rd gear had a major part of that, AND is also the major reason I am upgrading the brakes.

Ryan,

On my car I am using whatever NAPA's top of the line rotor for the cobra. They cost me like $40 each. They've held up to a full autox season and three trips to mid-ohio plus some drag strip passes; pretty much they have been on the car since 2007 and i haven't warped them yet.

Shane

Thanks for the info Shane, but your a few pounds lighter then my car. I have been thinking of just getting plain rotors, since the Raybestos brand rotors I have on the car have lasted for 7 years and still did not warp after the abuse from the shootout last year. I'll just have to rattle can paint the hubs and edges to keep them from rusting.

Ed, aren't those rotors from Ford rather expensive?

Back