Rebuilding AOD

MaxTech

Hey guys,
I am rebuilding my AOD in 92 SC. Everything is stock from factory. I have read and reread many posts here on upgrading and so forth. I bought a good
4R70W from a 99 Crown Vic, took guts out. Bought AOD rebuild kit. I was going to get an AODE for the sun shell, but now I am stuck. I am planning to use the stock converter.
1. Will the AODE have everything I need to swap in the 4R70W mechanicals?
2. Should I buy the AODE sunshell instead of a used AODE tranny?
3. Do I need more than the AODE sun shell? Some web sites suggest needing special washer.
4. Should I put the standard AOD gearset in or switch to the 4R70W wide set?
5. Since the motor is stock superCoupe, am I OK with stock converter?
I know this is old news to most of you but I want to thank everyone for all of your previous posts as well as re-answering this THANKS !
George

I honestly cannot answer your questions, however I feel I can give you a bit of advise. I would suggest that you contact Lentech Transmissions for the parts needed and some solid advise. Phone 613.838.5390. This guy builds probably the best AOD in the country.

Go to the Click Click Racing site to get the answers to all of your questions. http://www.clickclickracing.com/ Go to the Click Click Forums and check out General Click Click Tech. Dan (Silverfox) can answer all of your questions. Believe me any parts you need to buy will be a whole lot less expensive from Dan than they will from Lentech.

FYI... I stayed with the standard gear set in both of my AOD builds. I was afraid with the 3:55 rear ratio the 4R70W wide ratio gears would make 1st too low. Needless to say I'm very happy with my decision.

Good luck

Bryan

Thanks guys,

I went back and re-read Alan's (DirtyDog) PM he had sent me. It makes a lot more sense now that I have both trannys pulled apart. Here is what Alan said:

"There are several ways to go about this swap to upgrade the components. Usually for a sc using the aode sun shell.4r70w reverse drum and diode and then go ahead and use late model drums and the intermediate preesure plate. This lets you use the late model frictions and basically build a stadard ratio 4r70w. If you get a complete 4r and want to go wide ratio you need a valvebody but oddly that is usually cheaper than buying all the pieces another way."

Because my rear axle ratio is stock, and my budget right now, --NONE--, I am going to stick all the 4R70W internals into my AOD. I will have to keep the AOD output shaft and governor, and AOD valve body of course. Everything else will be 4R70W. I will try to baby it until I can afford a new valve body calibrated to the wide gear ratio, hopefully Silverfox.

Thanks Guys,
George

Back