PDA

View Full Version : Trunklid bumper issue

Norm-L
02-23-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but both my SCs had the same problem with the trunklid bumpers being too short. They only thread in about 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn and they tend to want to fall out when you clean the inside of the lid. In the case of both my SCs, the left side of the trunklid also sat about an 1/8" lower than it should. I don't remember the last time I saw one of these T-Birds without scratches on the top of the rear bumper from the taillight scraping it.

I did find a simple solution. GM and Chrysler used the same type of bumper, but it's significantly longer. I did end up cutting it about a 1/4" shorter so it wouldn't sit against the inside of the trunklid's outer skin, but it turned out to be unnecessary since it ended up needing to be 3/8" longer than the original one to get the lid adjusted properly, along with an adjustment to the latch. The tailight no longer scrapes the rear bumper. My trunklid seal was soft enough that it still seals properly, despite being crushed for 15 years.

-It's GM part# 472450 or 12338034, fitting X cars 1980 and on. I have no info about the OEM Chrysler applications.
-You could find them at a junkyard.
-You could by them at www.clipsandfasteners.com (product code 15453) but they come in packs of 10 for about $15.
-You can buy them at Advance Autoparts (Dorman part# 45392) for about $5, but the 2-pack has two different sizes so you need to buy 2 of them.
-AutoZone has the same thing (not in stores) for twice the price.

I hope this helps anyone with the same problem I had.....if you didn't already know about this solution.

the-big-e
02-23-2011, 08:21 PM
I have the same issue on my 92....

It has a spoiler and sometimes when I close the trunk lid, it will slam down with a lot of force....

I'll have to pick up some of those next time I'm at the yard....