what chip?

brianstang

ive been researching and looking around for a decent chip. i was was looking at the quater horse qh1 but theres to much going on there. ive been looking at the qh f8 chip module with chip destiny programmer. what im looking for is in a chip is top speed limiter, settings so i can set the speedo right if i change gears or tires,and other litte stuff like that.does anybody have any experince with this ? will this do what im asking?

the speedo is not controlled by the ecu on the older ecu's so no a chip can not change the speedo on our beloved supercoupes, if they were 98+ yes but being as old as they are it wasn't put into production

speedometer is corrected by utilizing the correct speedo gear on the vss, the speedo gear has a specific tooth count, there's a chart floating around here with the gear needed to get your speedo back correct, if you can't find any, search google theres a bunch of speedo gear calculators

depending on your ecu year will determine if it has a top speed limiter and at what speed its set at, the older ecu's have a high speed rev limiter which comes into play

dave dalke, fraser turner, myself, or about 30 other club members can burn and send you a chip if need be, but before anything can be done we need to know what year and trans you have and what specifically your looking to do in the 'tune'

the speedo is not controlled by the ecu on the older ecu's so no a chip can not change the speedo on our beloved supercoupes, if they were 98+ yes but being as old as they are it wasn't put into production

speedometer is corrected by utilizing the correct speedo gear on the vss, the speedo gear has a specific tooth count, there's a chart floating around here with the gear needed to get your speedo back correct, if you can't find any, search google theres a bunch of speedo gear calculators

depending on your ecu year will determine if it has a top speed limiter and at what speed its set at, the older ecu's have a high speed rev limiter which comes into play

dave dalke, fraser turner, myself, or about 30 other club members can burn and send you a chip if need be, but before anything can be done we need to know what year and trans you have and what specifically your looking to do in the 'tune'

its a 95 with auto. few mods done, 2.7 pulley, custom straight pipe exuast with glasspacks at the end, cone filter where the air box was. within the month it will have 3.73's, cai, 255 fuel pump, nothing seroius. being an older car im not sure what to expect out of a chip?

There is not a lot engine performance wise that can be done on that car with a chip. With a 2.7" pulley you are probably already into severe knock retard so timing will need to be pulled out and a better fuel curve can be put in. However, you are also out of injectors with the 2.7" pulley so that is also hampering things. You really should start looking at 42lb injectors (or bigger) so that you don't run out of fuel.

The chip will help with transmission programming more than anything since shift timing and firmness is controlled by the EEC as well as converter lockup and other things like that.

Your best bet with that car would be to put a stock 89 pulley back on the supercharger, get it ported to maximize it's efficiency and minimize heat build up, and then install a MP inlet on the blower to further enhance it's efficiency. These are bolt on parts rather than EEC tuning but that's the best route with the 94/5's based on my experience. Too much overdrive on the blower just causes knock retard and the car just simply won't make power without detonation.

By increasing the efficiency of the blower you can increase boost without adding heat and you free up lost parasitic HP from the blower "working" harder than it should.

The 94/5 SC doesn't have a speed limiter, but it does have rpm limiters. The stock engine doesn't like to make power above about 4800rpm anyway, but then the converter starts to balloon at about 5400rpm, so the stock rev limiter starts to kick in at 5200. I don't recommend raising that until you have upgraded the converter (like to a Marauder/Mach 1 or even a late model V6 Mustang converter).

It doesn't make sense to get a chip/burner yourself because you still have to buy the def file and software to run that, and so now you are $100 or so off the cost of the QH with full datalogging support. Even if you don't want to tune yourself, if you have the QH you can get someone else to remote tune your car for you, or at least send out datalogs so that someone else (whoever is helping you) can edit your tune and help you get where you need to go.

The chip is for the kind of person who doesn't want to mess with it at all, just plug in and go. In which case getting a pre-programmed F6 from someone is the way to do that. Then you don't have to even bother with a programmer or software.

There is not a lot engine performance wise that can be done on that car with a chip. With a 2.7" pulley you are probably already into severe knock retard so timing will need to be pulled out and a better fuel curve can be put in. However, you are also out of injectors with the 2.7" pulley so that is also hampering things. You really should start looking at 42lb injectors (or bigger) so that you don't run out of fuel.

The chip will help with transmission programming more than anything since shift timing and firmness is controlled by the EEC as well as converter lockup and other things like that.

Your best bet with that car would be to put a stock 89 pulley back on the supercharger, get it ported to maximize it's efficiency and minimize heat build up, and then install a MP inlet on the blower to further enhance it's efficiency. These are bolt on parts rather than EEC tuning but that's the best route with the 94/5's based on my experience. Too much overdrive on the blower just causes knock retard and the car just simply won't make power without detonation.

By increasing the efficiency of the blower you can increase boost without adding heat and you free up lost parasitic HP from the blower "working" harder than it should.

The 94/5 SC doesn't have a speed limiter, but it does have rpm limiters. The stock engine doesn't like to make power above about 4800rpm anyway, but then the converter starts to balloon at about 5400rpm, so the stock rev limiter starts to kick in at 5200. I don't recommend raising that until you have upgraded the converter (like to a Marauder/Mach 1 or even a late model V6 Mustang converter).

It doesn't make sense to get a chip/burner yourself because you still have to buy the def file and software to run that, and so now you are $100 or so off the cost of the QH with full datalogging support. Even if you don't want to tune yourself, if you have the QH you can get someone else to remote tune your car for you, or at least send out datalogs so that someone else (whoever is helping you) can edit your tune and help you get where you need to go.

The chip is for the kind of person who doesn't want to mess with it at all, just plug in and go. In which case getting a pre-programmed F6 from someone is the way to do that. Then you don't have to even bother with a programmer or software.

im not sure y but my car shuts down at 125mph, and the site where im getting my gears from said that i would have to get some sort of tuner becuse the gears would mess up the shift points or something. is this true or will it shift fine?

im not sure y but my car shuts down at 125mph, and the site where im getting my gears from said that i would have to get some sort of tuner becuse the gears would mess up the shift points or something. is this true or will it shift fine?

My bad, yes it does have a speed limiter. If you have installed 3.73's but not changed the speedo gear then what used to be a 145mph limiter is now a 125mph limiter. Changing your speedo gear so that your speedometer reads correctly will raise it back up. Generally when I program a chip for someone I just remove all speed limiting parameters.

Yes, changing gears without corrective programming will alter shift points and converter lockup schedules because they are a function of speed. WOT shift points are mostly a function of rpm though, so those generally will not change.

Edit - because I normally just shut off the speed limiters, I did not have the exact speed for the limiters off the top of my head, but now according to the strategy code, it looks like your car has a stock speed limiter of 132mph so yes, you are right about that.

Last edited:
My bad, yes it does have a speed limiter. If you have installed 3.73's but not changed the speedo gear then what used to be a 145mph limiter is now a 125mph limiter. Changing your speedo gear so that your speedometer reads correctly will raise it back up. Generally when I program a chip for someone I just remove all speed limiting parameters.

Yes, changing gears without corrective programming will alter shift points and converter lockup schedules because they are a function of speed. WOT shift points are mostly a function of rpm though, so those generally will not change.

Edit - because I normally just shut off the speed limiters, I did not have the exact speed for the limiters off the top of my head, but now according to the strategy code, it looks like your car has a stock speed limiter of 132mph so yes, you are right about that.

based on my current modds and the ones i said i will be adding,minus the 2.7 pulley ill throw the pulley off the older sc's on. what could u do for a chip for me? and what price? because i have to have the chip first for the gears. then maybe down the line a ported blower if its not to expensive.

Back