Drivers side VC oil leak!!

AB's91SC

So I installed a cold air intake and swapped out a bad supercharger for ported early style blower on my 90SC. Cleaned the engine and all looked sweet:D. Took it for a spin and all worked well but come to notice when I got home, smoke from under the hood coming from the drivers side. I seen oil splattered over the intake tubes, around the bottom of the brake reservoir and around the hood. My question for you guys is, can a bad valve cover gasket cause this much oil to leak and spill over like it did? I cleaned the engine and tightened the lower VC bolts and the leak is still there. Another question, I plugged the drivers side vent tube and was thinking would pressure build up, if any, cause the gasket to bust since it wasn't leaking before, well didn't notice it.

You plugged the PCV hose?? In that case yes, positive crankcase ventalation clogs (or plugs) could cause pressure build up and blow a gasket, how old were the gaskets??

I plugged the vent from the drivers side VC going to the intake tube. The PVC valve is still hooked up to all the hoses on the passenger side.

It could be brake fluid but I do notice that the head had some fresh oil drippings. The brake reservoir seems to be full and I haven't seen it change. Also the car has about 89K miles and don't know if it has ever the head gaskets changed out. I did notice that the bottom of the brake reservoir had some oil on it. Where can a leak come from if its from the bottom of the reservoir?
Thanks

Mine did the same thing and it was a vacuum line that was hooked up wrong on my supercharger. My dipstick was edging out of the tube because of pressure going in the wrong direction. All this started when I had my supercharger rebuilt and put it back on. Was also told it could be the dipstick seal at the bottom where it goes into the block. Either way it did exactly what yours is doing.

A bad valve cover gasket can cause a lot of smoke, and possibly even drips on the ground if it's bad enough, but it will not cause "splatters". If you have oil sprayed in odd places, I would definitely take a hard look at the PCV.

I will mention this just because you worked on the supercharger, even though it sounds unlikely from the location of the oil. If the snout seal behind the blower pulley leaks badly, the oil will hit the inside of the pulley and get slung outward in a circle. It will leave an oily stripe across the whole underside of your hood, and down the sides of the engine bay. I don't think that's what you have, but it is worth checking the inside of the pulley.

to the best of my knowledge you need that crossover vent. will let crankcase pressure that exceeds what pvc can handle into intake trac to be burned. just my 2 cents. good luck w your prob

Found the issue. I removed the plugged vent from the drivers side valve cover and checked my pcv routings. There are two lines, I want to say vacuum lines that come from the passenger side fire wall, the lines are about an 1/8 of an inch thick. Well the lines tie-in to a plastic diaphram and they were reversed. Don't know it that made a difference or not or if the plug that I removed helped but its fixed, no more oil leaks or splatters of any kind. Thanks for all the info guys. Next project, headers with full exhaust!:D

Back