Is it worth it?

secondchildhood

Found a 1990 anniv. Edition....has less than 100k miles and second owner...the car will need paint but has never been wrecked...it is a 5 speed but again it has a blown head gasket and been sitting 2 months?..the interior isnt bad except for dash and head liner...i can get car for 1000.00....would this be a fair price or should i try for less...

yeah I'm not sure if the anni is worth any more than other SCs but I do know that nice paint and a good head gasket job will be pricey...probably more than the car is worth

For arguments sake say the cheapest you're going to get one for is $500. At $1000 you're overpaying by $500 worst case right? $500 is nothing compared to what you'll be spending as an SC owner so don't sweat it.:p
Of course try to get it cheaper.
If you're going to try to make money off of it, then no, it is not worth it. You'd have to get it for free for it to be worth it.imo
5-speed anni's are definately more desirable than your average SC, probably not worth any more but there are people looking for those specifically at times.
For example:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111678

Also search for the buyers guide thread.

I wouldn't pay a dime over $500.00 for her.....

Even if you do the HG job yourself, you will have an additional $300 - $500 in parts (depending on how much repairing you want to do)....

Be forwarned, SC repairs can snowball out of control.....:rolleyes:

Good luck and try to get a good price for her.....:)

For arguments sake say the cheapest you're going to get one for is $500. At $1000 you're overpaying by $500 worst case right? $500 is nothing compared to what you'll be spending as an SC owner so don't sweat it.:p
Of course try to get it cheaper.
If you're going to try to make money off of it, then no, it is not worth it. You'd have to get it for free for it to be worth it.imo
5-speed anni's are definately more desirable than your average SC, probably not worth any more but there are people looking for those specifically at times.
For example:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111678

Also search for the buyers guide thread.
i must disagree with you full heartedly here. you are 100% off base when referring to getting an SC for free in order to make any money off of it. are you for real??? you would have to be paid atleast 2-5k to take the car if you want to make money off of an SC. lol

After owning over 30 SCs over the past few years:rolleyes:....

You will be hard pressed to get an SC for free.....:eek:

Scrap price is at least $260.00 for a complete car with engine....:rolleyes:

Trying to make money on SCs can be hit and miss at best.....:p

You need to find out if it has been sitting that long with antifreeze in the oil. Very bad for the bearings. You can change the oil a few times to get the antifreeze out of the engine but the bearings will likely go out on you soon after you replace head gaskets. Happened to me. Bearings in these engines have to deal with the wear and tear of being in a supercharged engine. If it has a lot of miles on the engine the bearings are likely worn quite a bit than throw in the antifreeze and they will go out in short order. Something to think about, do you want to rebuild the engine?

Ken

If it actually is an anniversary edition and they will verify the absolute only issue is the head gaskets then $1000 isn't too bad. If they can't verify that, I'd say $500 is the top. Right off the bat you can expect costs of a new clutch, possibly rebuilt brake master cylinder, brake work, not to mention perhaps going through the motor. With bad paint and not 100% interior, I don't think you want your total investment to exceed $2500 as the best you could likely resell such a car is around $3500 (good mechanical condition, appearance worn) on a good day.

Similar situation bought mine for $400 it wad advertised for 1000.
HG was not blown but sc was bad.
I decided to do the bearings and rings (186k).
Also did a lot of other work on the stock parts porting and such.
I think Big e has it, buy it for 500 and rebuild motor or leave it be..

If it actually is an anniversary edition and they will verify the absolute only issue is the head gaskets then $1000 isn't too bad. If they can't verify that, I'd say $500 is the top. Right off the bat you can expect costs of a new clutch, possibly rebuilt brake master cylinder, brake work, not to mention perhaps going through the motor. With bad paint and not 100% interior, I don't think you want your total investment to exceed $2500 as the best you could likely resell such a car is around $3500 (good mechanical condition, appearance worn) on a good day.

I think this is about right ... if the HGs are the only issue, what's wrong with paying $1,000 for it?

I would advise, if you are buying this car with the intention of making money, then you are in for a hard education.

I would further advise that, if you are buying any 20-year-old car with the intention of making money, you had better be a full-fledged body and paint man, mechanic, or transmission rebuilder.

If you are buying the car to drive, have, and enjoy, then I would advise ... go for it! But be ready to work and learn.

Thanks for all the input....if purchased the sc would be a kkeper for myself( and a long term project)..wanted one when younger and just got the fever to get one again....had a turbo coupe when i was 20...hmm maybe thats the way to go( lol)...anyway im still debateing on the car...thanks

You got to look at it this way, if you take a 35th and paint it, fix interior, motor, drive train and what ever else you need, then the car will be worth high book, maybee the next one down.

but.. it is only valuable to those on this list it seems. to most people its just a thunderbird, and alot of people dont care that its supercharged. would I pay 1000 for it. maybee, i would try to low ball them first.

if its a car you always wanted then the worth to you is farr greater than book value. I personally would look for a later model SC like a 1992 or newer. if you want rare then find a 1995.

but they are fun to work in if your pocket book can hold out... ha ha ha

Back