Laptop mount for car

90coug

Has anyone purchased a laptop mount for their car yet? If so how do you like it?

I've read some reviews and it looks like there are a lot of chinsy ones out there. I've heard the RAM Mounts are good units. Here is the one I'm thinking about, I would really like to spend much less than this though.... Any thoughts?

http://www.gpscheap.com/pm-9308-107-ram-mounts-ram-316-3sw1u-ram-pod-iii-with-single-swing-arm.aspx

rampod3iu2.jpg

Why not a tablet, that you can put in place of the radio ect.

Well, integrating a computer into the car would be ideal but I'm not looking to modify the interior.

I netbook would almost be the right size for the dash.

Haven't done it yet but I will be putting a netbook in the bird here shortly.
Will be looking for some sort of docking station or mount.

The net book has unlimited Sprint Cell Phone service so should stay connected to the internet at all times unless bad signal areas.

The stereo I just put in the car has both a USB and a headphone input jack onthe face, so I can put my music(I am also a DJ) on it and play it through the car system.

probably mount it to the floor on a pedestal through the ash tray.
Looking at modding that area for cupholders too.

Be interesting to see what you come up with.

Haven't done it yet but I will be putting a netbook in the bird here shortly.
Will be looking for some sort of docking station or mount.

The net book has unlimited Sprint Cell Phone service so should stay connected to the internet at all times unless bad signal areas.

The stereo I just put in the car has both a USB and a headphone input jack onthe face, so I can put my music(I am also a DJ) on it and play it through the car system.

probably mount it to the floor on a pedestal through the ash tray.
Looking at modding that area for cupholders too.

Be interesting to see what you come up with.

Yea, I will be doing the same thing. I plan on feeding the laptop to the stereo via Bluetooth. Streaming internet radio in the car rocks but on occasion it’ll buffer out.

I also plan on mounting a hi-gain Omni-directional 2.4ghz antenna to the car and doing some dictionary attacks around the hood. :)

Really, it’s for the quarterhorse, I want to watch my parameters and tune on the fly. Right now it's sliding all over the passenger seat.

Last edited:
RAM mounts are very good. Been using them for years in the boat business for GPS/Fishfinder stuff.

I would go with nothing less than RAM. Use them in the aircraft industry and they are the best out there.

RAM mounts are very good. Been using them for years in the boat business for GPS/Fishfinder stuff.

I would go with nothing less than RAM. Use them in the aircraft industry and they are the best out there.

Yea, it's looking like the best choice as I browse around. I really like how it grabs the laptop at four points. A lot of the cheapo brands use a strap across the laptop and that just won't cut the mustard with me.

You'll want something to support the screen too if you intend to drive with it open. Hinges on laptops tend to not like all the bouncing around that goes on in a car. (note that it is illegal to be able to see the screen when driving in many states)

You'll want something to support the screen too if you intend to drive with it open. Hinges on laptops tend to not like all the bouncing around that goes on in a car. (note that it is illegal to be able to see the screen when driving in many states)

I do see they offer a screen support, not a bad idea. I looked in the CO_DMV handbook and didn't see anything specific to monitors or distractions of the sort. Cell phones are listed but nothing really saying I couldn't have one in there. Cops are hypocrites if they don’t let us drive around with a laptop at the console right?:rolleyes::p

I do see they offer a screen support, not a bad idea. I looked in the CO_DMV handbook and didn't see anything specific to monitors or distractions of the sort. Cell phones are listed but nothing really saying I couldn't have one in there. Cops are hypocrites if they don’t let us drive around with a laptop at the console right?:rolleyes::p

all i got to say is i know you cant drive around with movies or videos playing here in Michigan in the drivers view.

but something with gauges or data info... i couldn't see the cop bothering you about it..

all i got to say is i know you cant drive around with movies or videos playing here in Michigan in the drivers view.

but something with gauges or data info... i couldn't see the cop bothering you about it..

Highly trained multi-taskers only

You could always hit the "boss" key when he shows up, lol. Have it quickly jump over to the dashboard screen. :p

what are you looking to do with your laptop? Mine is in the trunk with remote display in the dash. Mine replaced my entire entertainment system and does navigation. Sure wish I had OBD II that would be a nice interface.

what are you looking to do with your laptop? Mine is in the trunk with remote display in the dash. Mine replaced my entire entertainment system and does navigation. Sure wish I had OBD II that would be a nice interface.

I would like to do everyting with it of course but mainly it's just for watching the EEC. I've seen your setup and it's really good. What are you using to interface with the computer? Is it some sort of proprietary setup? Linux varient of some sort? Touch screen I take it and your navi is just behind the shift, nice. Does it transmit via bluetooth or wifi?

Back