gears

brianstang

just wondering how hard a gear swap is. i was gona have a local shop do it but they said it wass gona be 450 to 500 for the m to do it. thats almost 3 times what the gears cost, i was thinking it would be under 200. so im gona try it my self. im somewhat maecanicly inclined but ive never done a gear swap so any info, tips, pics,any special tools needed, ect to do the swap would be helpful,thanks

A gear swap is not hard, but the set up of the ring and pinion, crush sleeve, and torque of nut on pinion is all where the expertiece comes into play.

can you do it yourself, probably, can you get it correct, probably. but if for some reason you get it wrong and ruin a set of gears you are the one to blame. if you paid a shop to do it. then they are on the hook for the mistake. shop around a bit for price of install,

was that install price with the rear diff allready removed?

if you remove it, then price may come down.

Do you only have one rear diff? If you are going to go through the trouble of doing different gears I would suggest getting a mark VIII rear diff, but that is just a personal choice.

If you can do without the rear diff for a week or 2 I could get it swapped out for you. It would be done by a Ford Mechanic at the Ford shop in Plattsmouth, NE. Tincher Ford. I am in Des Moines and could probably meet up with you to get the diff. I have an extra one, but not the Trac Loc part. If you an extra diff or trac lock could get it done without too much down time. Then it would just be a swap process and that doesn't take more than a couple hours provided the half shafts come out without an issue.

Back