1993 5spd Harmonic Balancer

Chrismiss

PO replaced harmonic balancer and car wouldn't start afterwards. I decided to get under the car and pull the HB off. I pulled the crank bolt and in the process found 2 washers and that the bolt wasn't tight down on the HB. Car has been turned over a bit, so I guess my question is do I need to replace the HB again? Is it shot at this point? Already have new crank sensor.

Also this is the car and some more history.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117457

Anybody? please help

Bolt is also the wrong length. All I need to know is if the balancer is junk now.

What makes you think it,s ng ????

DID YOU LINE UP THE KEY WAY RIGHT ???? IS THE BALANCER WORN ON THE INSIDE ???? WHAT,S THE PROBLEM ???? IF IT IS IN DEEP ENOUGH TO MAKE THE PICK UP WORK THAT,S ALL IT CAN DO OTHER THAT YOU MAY HAVE DAMAGED THE PICK UP SENSOR WHEN RE MOVING BALANCER:p

Bolt is also the wrong length. All I need to know is if the balancer is junk now.

I thought the owner of the car said he was pulling it to return to BHJ for a non-SFI replacement. In either case the balancer shouldn't have been damaged just from using some washers or not being properly torqued.

Suggest using shorter bolts for those that bottomed out (for securing the reluctor ring and crank pulley to balancer). The correct crank bolt and washer can be provided by Victor at spinning wheels.

David

Balancer

I didn't install it the first time around. The car won't start after PO changed the balancer so I figured it was a good place to start. Have a new crank sensor so I'm changing that. The balancer is still snug on the shaft and doesn't wobble. Vanes look ok on the back of the balancer.

I'd guess the balancer was walking forward and not engaging the sensor properly. Is that logical?

Chris

Balancer

I thought the owner of the car said he was pulling it to return to BHJ for a non-SFI replacement.

I have the correct length bolt.

Yeah, so did I. Doesn't appear that he did.

Do you know what voltages I should see from the crank sensor?

I have the correct length bolt.

Yeah, so did I. Doesn't appear that he did.

Do you know what voltages I should see from the crank sensor?

No I don't know what voltages or how to test the crank sensor. Yes, if balancer wasn't fully seated on the crank it's possible that the sensor would lose contact. Then again, if it was that far away I wouldn't expect the belts to be alligned well enough to stay on the crank pulley.

I would check the crank sensor to main harness connection.

David

It should output an alternating on-off pulse of 12V DC.

If it is failing electronically, it can output a pulse at a lower voltage which can show up on a voltmeter, but is not enough to trigger the DIS.

A 12V LED test lamp is a good way to check it. I don't know if an analog voltmeter would work because of the current draw, and I don't think a digital voltmeter would work because of the display lag. An oscilloscope would work great, but if you had an oscilloscope, you probably would have let us know, right? ;)

Balancer

Got the balancer torqued up. New crank sensor and still a no start condition. There is a small voltage at injector connectors during crank. Haven't verified fuel pressure yet, will look there tomorrow.

Car sat for a few years but old fuel was drained and p-ump was replaced. Could old fuel have hosed the injectors?

PO dumped some 2 cycle in the tank to try and get it to start. Could that have ruined my injectors?

And supposedly the MAF is bad.

I have spark.

Got the balancer torqued up. New crank sensor and still a no start condition. There is a small voltage at injector connectors during crank. Haven't verified fuel pressure yet, will look there tomorrow.

Car sat for a few years but old fuel was drained and p-ump was replaced. Could old fuel have hosed the injectors?

PO dumped some 2 cycle in the tank to try and get it to start. Could that have ruined my injectors?

And supposedly the MAF is bad.

I have spark.

why would you dump 2 cycle (i am assuming 2 cycle oil) in the tank????

any oil would have the possiblilty of fouling the injectors, or making them so full of goo that they wont do anything.

you really need to crack out a multimeter and get to work on it, check the crank sensor for operation, post the results here, not just yes it works put the voltage up here, then check the car in a systamic order and post results, that way the more informed and experienced techies on here can give you some real feedback.

or with the amount of money you dumped into it so far, you could have had it diagnosed by some one like a dealership or mechanic at independent shop.

why would you dump 2 cycle (i am assuming 2 cycle oil) in the tank????

any oil would have the possiblilty of fouling the injectors, or making them so full of goo that they wont do anything.

you really need to crack out a multimeter and get to work on it, check the crank sensor for operation, post the results here, not just yes it works put the voltage up here, then check the car in a systamic order and post results, that way the more informed and experienced techies on here can give you some real feedback.

or with the amount of money you dumped into it so far, you could have had it diagnosed by some one like a dealership or mechanic at independent shop.

It was a 2 cycle mix and I didn't do it.

Only money I have put in it to this point other than buying it was the $60 for the crank sensor and a new bolt for the HB.

I whipped out the MM yesterday. I do have an O-scope, but it isn't very portable.

I found that troubleshooting guide the other day and am planning on working through that tonight.

Thanks for the input and suggestions it is much appreciated. Will post actual MM readings tonight.

Chris

have you tried to spray start with ether ????

if the spark is good the spray should start it then the next step is the fuel :eek: it,s a about basis

have you tried to spray start with ether ????

if the spark is good the spray should start it thenthe next step is the fuel :eek: ti,s all about basics:cool:

If it fires does it still run as long as you spray it ???? If so

Must be a fuel problem open the line safely to check for flow to the injectors...it,s all a matter of troble shooting better if you have an other person with you to help out ....all the best :)

Fuel Pressure

Just got around to checking fuel pressure and I have 40psi at the rail. Should it drop when i crank?

Anyone know what voltages i should see at the injectors?

Update

Car passed pinpoint tests. Still no fire. Gas smelled old even though I was told old gas was pumped out of tank. I dropped the tank and the fuel was nasty. Lots of oil and other crud in the tank. Gave it a good cleaning and replaced entire fuel pump assembly. Changed fuel filters again and still won't start.

Injectors are getting signal to pulse, verified this with a test light.

I'm going to order up some injectors. Any other thoughts?

Back