air baffle removal

gsp393

I've removed them from a few 87-93 Mustangs and it freed up some horsepower. I was wondering if this was a procedure commonly done on SuperCoupes.

If the car is still pretty much stock, you won't see any power gains as it flows very well and isn't a restriction.... the gain you will have is more blower noise ;).

Fraser

So far my '90 has:

brand new SC crate engine
brand new '94 supercharger & inlet plenum
SC Performance 2 1/2-3" exhaust w/high flow cats
Kooks mid-length headers
#42 injectors
76mm throtle body
255 lph fuel pump
K&N filter
1.7 roller rockers

I think that's everything. I still have a few wants before I'm done with the performance angle.

If that blower isn't OD'd, then you won't be moving much more air than stock.

Might was well take it out and enjoy the noise.

Fraser

I forgot to add that it does have an OD pulley, I can't remember what % it is though.
Also, thanks for being the one of everybody out here to answer my question.

So far my '90 has:

brand new SC crate engine
brand new '94 supercharger & inlet plenum
SC Performance 2 1/2-3" exhaust w/high flow cats
Kooks mid-length headers
#42 injectors
76mm throtle body
255 lph fuel pump
K&N filter
1.7 roller rockers

I think that's everything. I still have a few wants before I'm done with the performance angle.

Are you using a stock MAF ? Aftermarket throttle body sizes are 70mm, 75mm, 85mm and coming soon 95mm. If you have a 75mm TB, a 76mm C&L MAF would be a good match.

David

I'm using the stock throttle body with a 76mm MAF from SC Perfomance. Should I step up to a larger throttle body?
(In the options list, I meant MAF instead of throttle body)
Also, if I measured the diameter of my OD pulley, could someone tell me what the precentage of overdrive it is?

I'm using the stock throttle body with a 76mm MAF from SC Perfomance. Should I step up to a larger throttle body?
(In the options list, I meant MAF instead of throttle body)
Also, if I measured the diameter of my OD pulley, could someone tell me what the precentage of overdrive it is?

The stock TB is a restriction and you should upgrade it to match the MAF. It is pretty much a given that any restrictions in front of the blower limits your power. The other thing you might consider at this point is buying a Quarter Horse so you can tweak the tune. The sample tube in the 76MM MAF gets you in the ball park but there is HP to be had by tuning your combination. If like most, you continue to modify the beast, the QH is there to tune it all to work together.

Ken

When I can afford it, I'll get a matching throttlebody and a QH.

Right now I've got the drop in K&N panel filter. I'd like to get a cold air intake.

Yes, upgrading to a 75mm Throttle Body would be a good mod.

Unless you already have a Magnum Powers inlet plenum, it will require stuffing some rags down into the opening of the inlet plenum (after removing the stock throttle body) and porting about the first inch or so, to transition from a larger diameter opening to match the 75mm TB tapering back down to the stock ID if the casting. This is also needed for throttle plate clearance.

David

When I can afford it, I'll get a matching throttlebody and a QH.

Right now I've got the drop in K&N panel filter. I'd like to get a cold air intake.

Look again where that filter is pulling its air.

Notice it's the cooler air under the fender?

Yep, the FACTORY intake is a cold air intake.

So you've got one!

Just be careful to not overoil that K&N or you'll be cleaning the MAF sensor every few weeks / days.

RwP

I appriciate all the replys. I'll do what I can to the car as I can afford them. I'll post up a few engine pics sometime. I've got it looking brand new under the hood.

Back