ok so i was looking at a boss 302 head is bolt pattern the same and bore spacing

mannysc

it looks like its the same if so can I lop off a cylnder on each head and fill the ends it looks like they can work if i cut off the fourth cyl on each head . make a new intake manifold custom headers bad a$$ heads if it can be done my friend has a set he will give me think it can be done???????

Manny are you talking about the original Boss heads?[really Cleveland heads on 302 block] or are you talking about what most of the younger guys call Boss heads today?[really 302 heads or 5.0 heads]

Drag racers used to do that with Cleveland heads, take two, cut off one end of each, and weld them together to make an inline 300 c.i.d. 6-cylinder head ... Crane even had custom cams for that combo years ago :eek:

If it all lines up, the other issues would be fabricating the flange for your headers, a custom lower intake, or a severely modified stocker, and different pistons, since the Boss and Cleveland heads have canted valves, which would require a special dome on the piston tops to clear.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

they are original boss 302 heads cleveland heads

I realize its some major work. but the potential is great !! he offered me the heads and my mind went raceing wow! heads that flow like hell! numbers went thru my mind hp trq top end, I looked at them again and it would be nice but I dont have time to mess with them. yet! but I can dream.I do alot of that, semi hemi heads ports from hell large valves way to big for any sane man to put on a v6 but who says im sane?? some day after I get my inverted setups to my friends. I will try it. on my extra motor. till then its a dream.

Now let me get this straight...you want to cut up a pair of SUPPOSEDLY GENUINE Boss 302 heads. Yeah, the ones that are sellin' for around oh let's see...a $1,000 pair without valves.
C'mon Manny, if Boss 429 heads would fit would ya cut them up too?

By the way, I'm just give'n you a hard time. Now go check the casting numbers on those heads, be sure to get some pics and a phone number.

'bird

Well if they are the original Boss heads the valves are so large that low end will suffer BIG TIME! besides that the combustion chambers are for a 4" bore so you have alot of work to do there. Ive done a little compairing between Cleaveland heads and SC heads, the SC heads are a little bit Cleavelandish but not completely.

yeah i dicided it was a bad idea

to much chamber volume, for low end but as boost goes up its great. they are original 302 boss heads , the one has a cracked chamber in end cyl and the other ate a valve real good on a end cyl thats why they are free to me, no good for a v8 anymore . oh well just a thought, some times I thing my mom shouldnt have droped so much acid when she was carrying me !!! and the pot couldnt have helped eather

sweet

Manny I would grab them since they are free. Wouldn't hurt anything and that would be sweet to get some pics of them. I would like to see them. If that worked it would be very cool since they are cast iron and you wouldn't have to worry about head failure. You would definitly have to worry about the compression though. Wern't those heads on a 302 arroun 10 or higher compression. The coole thing that gives you room to rework and take out the cracks if they are in the middle ones by grinding into the port to lower compression. of course you would have to do the same to all and have them testested but that's the kind of work I love.

Hepcat grinding into the ports WILL NOT lower the compression. Most of the compression with that motor came from domed pistons. The combustion chambers in the heads were average.:)

Boss heads would totally suck on our motors. I have some flow specs for some warmed over Boss exhaust ports and they only flow about 155 cfm @ .500 lift. The stock SC head flows 125 cfm and Steigemeier heads flow 210 cfm @ .500. Our heads are NOT that bad. Backyard ported SC heads will flow 160-180 cfm in the exhaust easily.

The Boss heads had HUGE intake ports that really mess up bottom end power. Remember that the Boss didn't make decent power until it was above 5500 rpm. Hmmm, seeing as I redline my SC at 5500.....

then again

Then again the BOSS also didnt come with a supercharger....Wonder if anyone will come out with an aftermarket head for the 3.8 one of these days..Seems the lil v6 stangs have a following..One can only dream haha

I dont think we will ever see that, but who knows maybe when ALL forms of racing goes to V6's it may happen. Hmmm I wonder when that might happen.:)

Originally posted by MIKE 38sc
I dont think we will ever see that, but who knows maybe when ALL forms of racing goes to V6's it may happen. Hmmm I wonder when that might happen.:)

I sure do hope it happens, that way it'll have been worth all the trouble of savin' all of these junky...er...um...savin' all of these SC parts. Wonder if there will ever be a true market for concours show parts?

'bird

Back