here yet another question about the brake system

slowpoke

just had my brakes go out last night. shocker right? anyways, the pump motor itself works fine on start up. after about 30min of use it pumps so slow you can only here it with the engine off and takes up to 5 min to build pressure. no question about it. the pump is shot.

now heres the question. has anyone ever thought of and did find a MC to fit the electric boost system. essentially keeping the electric boost but removing the abs system.

its just a thought so please dont beat me up to bad. ")

I don't think they make an electric boost for the brake system with out some kind of ABS function....

Anyways, sounds like the bearings in your pump motor are worn out....

It's not that hard to R&R the unit....

And it should give you excellent service for another 20+ years....:D

Last edited:
i would stay with the stock system if i liked it, however it doesnt appear to be very easy to find the motor unless im willing to pay around $600. plus i have had the relay go bad on me 3 times so far. i never did trust the system due to such. it also did the relay thing in my 92 sport. plus i havent used the anti-lock since i got the car. for these cars i do better without it. and no im not saying to h e l l with ant-lock, rip it off of all cars. im just saying for my driving style it does not work well for me on this platform. so due to such, to me, it seems to be both cheaper and effective to switch it over to conventional.

i cant help but to wander if there might be a no anti-lock MC out there that can mount up to the booster. if so then i might atleast consider going back to the electric set up later on.

The Teves II system is all integrated so you either have to fix it, or completely yank it out and install a vacuum based non-ABS setup. There is a large thread around on how to do that swap. I will warn you, that you will not get the same "feel" with a conventional swap, but if that doesn't bother you it may be a route to consider.

Personally, while I can keep the Teves II running, its staying in the car because I love the feel of them especially on the track.

Fraser

Rebuilding the Teves has been a thought. In such case that i decide to do so it would be a long term project. I would want to rebuild everything from the ground up on the entire break system. the conventional is going in for now. Weather it stays or not is yet to be decided. and yes i found the giant thread on brakes. Its like 28 pages or something.
Heads up about the 89-90ish boosters. they are becoming very limited. mine has to be special ordered and thats after looking everywhere. if you deal with the dum-dums the part number has a slight change for the cv mac. It was 10-2605, its now m-2605. The small change had the female autozoner crossing her eyes.

Rebuilding the Teves has been a thought. In such case that i decide to do so it would be a long term project. I would want to rebuild everything from the ground up on the entire break system. the conventional is going in for now. Weather it stays or not is yet to be decided. and yes i found the giant thread on brakes. Its like 28 pages or something.
Heads up about the 89-90ish boosters. they are becoming very limited. mine has to be special ordered and thats after looking everywhere. if you deal with the dum-dums the part number has a slight change for the cv mac. It was 10-2605, its now m-2605. The small change had the female autozoner crossing her eyes.

correction. the m2605 is the mc only. if you want a bowl with it then its nm2605, that or you can order them separately. it still comes to about the same cost. and if order separately it wont take as long to get it.

as for the Teves, it came out real easy. due to i have the lc1 among many other sub-systems running past that area, getting the new booster in is still work in progress. i also shimmed the spring inside of the booster just so it will have that stiffer feel to it. i do not suggest anyone doing that unless they really know what they are doing. its critical that you re-assemble it properly which is far easier said then done. its been years since i have done it, almost made me remember being a teen once since last time i did it i was 19.

everything is in. i coated the conversion fittings for the aft brake with resin to ensure they wont come off. they stick out a bit so im a lil worried of them getting hit. other than that it all went easy and fast once i got everything rerouted around the booster. it really looks huge in diameter now that its in. or im just so tired im seeing things. 1 of the 2.

Last edited:
the test drive went well. the rain allowed me to lock up the tires and not damage the tires. braking power is unbelievably more powerful than before telling me this is just a better system or the Teves was on its way out for some time now. i can tell i need to adjust the bolt out a lil more yet but all and all the brake pedal feels good. i glad i shimmed the spring inside of the booster, the pedal is very soft compared to the Teves.
before when i would slam on the brakes i could feel the motor running and it seemed like no matter how much i pressed down it still would only stop so fast. now it will bounce your head on the dash if your not careful. all and all im happy with it. this pc cant load pics and my car pc needs charging. sometime tomorrow ill ad some pics.

Back