Lower Intake Modding

CoJo98v6

I have a question about adding volume to the lower intake. I have the M90 on my '98 Mustang without the balance shaft, so there is room to make the intake lower into the lifter valley. I have a second intake that I cut the bottom out years ago and was thinking of increasing the volume on. Is there any benifit to this? And would it hurt anything by doing this?

Thanks,
Corey.

I have a question about adding volume to the lower intake. I have the M90 on my '98 Mustang without the balance shaft, so there is room to make the intake lower into the lifter valley. I have a second intake that I cut the bottom out years ago and was thinking of increasing the volume on. Is there any benifit to this? And would it hurt anything by doing this?

Thanks,
Corey.

In my opinion there would be no gain. The bottom, as is, has the ports higher than the bottom of the floor inside the manifold. Air then does not have a straight shot straight down into the port but must flow back up to enter the port. Some of us have increased voluum by raising the top of the lower intake to give move voluumn but that creates clearance problems and mounting problems of the blower. Increasing the voluumn will only be useful in a high boost high HP motor. I modded my lower intake years ago when I had a moderately modded engine with stock internals and the dyno showed no improvement. With a high HP motor intake mods will likely help, how much I dont know

Ken

Back