TURBO or SC

secondchildhood

IN MY SEARCH FOR AN ''SC' PROJECT I FOUND AN 88 TURBO COUPE ( 2ND OWNER 95K MILES)... I KNOW THIS ISNT THE TC SITE BUT WHATS YOUR GUYS OPINION ON THESE CARS?...I KNOW THE 'SCs' HAVE MORE POWER BUT I THINK BOTH ARE GREAT LOOKING CARS...ARE THE TCs EASIER TO WORK ON(PARTS AVAILABILITY ETC)...BOTH AT ONE TIME WERE 'MOTOR TREND' CAR OF THE YEAR SO BOTH IN THERE ''PRIME'' WERE GREAT VEHICLES...ANY INFO YOU GUYS HAVE WOULD BE APPRECIATED..THNX

a TC, never heard of it, (but i'm new to the t-bird, SC world)

I love my 93 SC...It's fast and fuel efficient...I came from a 78 Ranchero with a big blog 460...So the 18-22 mpg I get on the SC, trumps the 5-8mpg i would get on that 460...

Good luck man!

IN MY SEARCH FOR AN ''SC' PROJECT I FOUND AN 88 TURBO COUPE ( 2ND OWNER 95K MILES)... I KNOW THIS ISNT THE TC SITE BUT WHATS YOUR GUYS OPINION ON THESE CARS?...I KNOW THE 'SCs' HAVE MORE POWER BUT I THINK BOTH ARE GREAT LOOKING CARS...ARE THE TCs EASIER TO WORK ON(PARTS AVAILABILITY ETC)...BOTH AT ONE TIME WERE 'MOTOR TREND' CAR OF THE YEAR SO BOTH IN THERE ''PRIME'' WERE GREAT VEHICLES...ANY INFO YOU GUYS HAVE WOULD BE APPRECIATED..THNX

A good place to find Turbocoupe info is here:
http://natomessageboard.com/cgi-bin/Ultimatebb.cgi

You may also want to check your Caps Lock, it seems to be stuck...........

Turbo Coupes were on an old 80s body derived off the mustang and it had a solid rear axle, that alone should be a good indicator that the SC is superior in design. Also to make power the TurboCoupe with its lil 4 cyl will require a large turbo that will most certaintly lag quite a bit, the car is not that light to begin with. But It can be made to make good power for probably cheaper then you can an SC. Looks well I think the SC has it beat hands down. The TC had the weird back side that looks dated and odd. But the car can be made to look good with a nice body kit and some wheels. Still the SC simply needs a nice set of wheels to make keep up with new and old in the looks dep.
But gas prices are reaching $4 per gallon so maybe that 4cyl is not such a bad idea afterall. And with some Volvo DOHC heads or some Cossworth power it can be made fast and fun while being good on gas.

blue_ford_t-bird_turbo_coupe-22292.jpg

Without a doubt I'd floss one of those. You can make them go fast for cheap but definitely start with the body mod's. You can get an aftermarket cylinder head, larger turbos, intake manifolds etc etc etc.

I've liked the body style of the Fox body Birds since I was a kid, but have always stuck to the MN12 platform for many reasons. My buddy has an '84 5.0 and the ride of the MN12 chassis is much better.

Without a doubt I'd floss one of those. You can make them go fast for cheap but definitely start with the body mod's. You can get an aftermarket cylinder head, larger turbos, intake manifolds etc etc etc.

You guys are internet racing again. Back in 1990 my aunt had one which I thought was just completely cool - until I got the XR7 and both of us realized after 3.79457 minutes that the MN12 is just massively better. No way I'd go back to a fox body.

You guys are internet racing again. Back in 1990 my aunt had one which I thought was just completely cool - until I got the XR7 and both of us realized after 3.79457 minutes that the MN12 is just massively better. No way I'd go back to a fox body.

It's true though. My internet connection is faster than yours.

I'm just saying that you guys forget how those things drive/ride compared to your MN12. I had the distinct displeasure of driving a cherry 90 Anny Mustang GT the other day. No f'n way I'd go back to that. In 1989 it was cool, but these days those things are just horribly antiquated. Fine to look at, ~~~ to drive.

My Current daily drivers a fox body stang and a fox body cougar. The fox body tbirds and cougars are definitely a much nicer ride than the fox body stangs. They are far from the same. If you want a car thats easy and cheap to work on the TC is a great option. They share many parts from the fox stang bin and can be made to handle and of course go fast. WHat it cant do is give you the same ride as a HEAVY IRS equipped Supercoupe :O)

My SVO's couldn't hold a candle to the SC but made the TBird look like it was parked in a straight line dash.

The turbo TBird was underpowered, and never did better than 25 mpg.

Nice ride though.

Paul

i don't know why everyone dogs the little 4 that could

to this day the 4 has made more power than our beloved 6

most i've ever heard of anyone getting out a sc was 632rwhp, they got a BUNCH of guys cranking out 850rwhp+ out the little 4cyl

IIRC luis at paradise racing had a little svo he featured a while back on his site, it was making 800+ to wheels on 80#s of boost

i don't know why everyone dogs the little 4 that could

to this day the 4 has made more power than our beloved 6

most i've ever heard of anyone getting out a sc was 632rwhp, they got a BUNCH of guys cranking out 850rwhp+ out the little 4cyl

IIRC luis at paradise racing had a little svo he featured a while back on his site, it was making 800+ to wheels on 80#s of boost

That's because 1% of SC owners are hardcore drag racers and will do whatever it takes to be at that power level. They aren't talking about max power, either. They're talking about an overall car comparisons.

80PSI; you're silly. Even if they did run that much, then 800rwhp is doggable.

I think we could get 800whp with 30psi and a stable bottom end..am I wrong? the most I've heard a person running was 21lbs of boost with a 3.8 and it made 650+whp over on v6power.

Turbo coupes

I have owned 2 turbo coupes and I think for their era, they were awesome!!!
It was nice racing 5.0 mustangs and beating them with a 4cyl. ofcourse boost was turned up, but whatever. I have now owned 6 super coupes and think they are far more superior than turbo coupes, but they still look sweet and I hope to own one again. I think parts are easier to get because of the fox body chassis, and the motor is easy to work on.

Back