Electrical gremlins

None2Slow

I have a 92 SC auto. Bone stock except for the radio. 1 day I went to get gas and the fuel button would not release the gas door. I also noticed that the door locks, keyless entry and the seats would also not work. It was intermitent and would work first thing in the morning. When 1 of these would not work, none would work. If 1 worked, they would all work. This leads me to believe that there is a common connector that they all share that may have come undone. Does anybody have an idea of where this may be. If I am off base, then can somebody maybe point me in the right direction. Pix would be a bonus. Thanks in advance.

im along the same page with xr7. 3 years ago when my batt went bad i got locked out a few times from the keyless entry not working. switched the batt and all has been good since. although the alt went out about 2 months after, so keep that in mind to.

Battery is fairly new and the alt is fine. These problems happen while the car is running with the alt putting out 14.2v. The battery is 950cca and is about 4 months old. All connectors are clean and tight. This just started happening 1 day and in about a week, all these stopped working. I may have to go to the dealer and look at a wiring diagram and see where a common plug comes together.

Bad ground. My car it was the negative battery cable. Kept locking and unlocking in cycles. It also flashed the dome light. At first, it was comical. Then one day the sucker wouldn't start. I popped the hood and saw the cable was in bad shape. Imo, electrical spasms are loose, or corroded wires. Since the gounds are chassis mounted, i would start there.

There are two ground blocks behind each of the kick panels just off the floor board. I would start on the drivers side and see if there is rust or corrosion behind the ground block. Hope it helps

If the Battery is all good...

I am Plus 2 on the bad grounds..

They are not easy to track down..

Just be very patient in trying to find it, and you will succed..

Karl

I remember seeing some complaints a few month's ago and the person found that there was a major (+) wire junction running under the drivers seat ( on the floor board ) and he had found a bad connection and complained about some of the same things you are?.
Maybe worth looking at, I know Fords are the worst if a ground is bad but I have heard of problems at this location under the drivers carpet.
Good luck. :confused:

I think I found my problem, well the place to start from. First off, Love the site and all the help. Here is a pic of what I found when I went to look for a ground problem. All the grounds are clean, tight and secure. I figured I would look at the fuse. Can't be a fuse though cause it would work on and off. Pop the cover and see this. Swap this with the 1 next to it and it starts to get hot. Now to figure it out. When I plug the swap 1 in, I see a spark so I know that there is a power draw. Now to trace that down. This may be why I was having a battery drain issue the necesitated the battery replacement to begin with. After a week or so of sitting, my battery would be so dead that I wouldn't get a dome light. After replacing the battery, haven't had a problem. Granted the old battery was 8 years old.

Attachments

• Photo0079.jpg
    Photo0079.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 70
good pic that fuse cavity is for the fuel doorsolenoid, power seats and power door locks if the 92 fuse box is wired the same as my 90. You may have a power wire pinched somewhere that is making intermittent contact. Trunk hinge, window regulator tracks or seat tracks are the best places to start.

Last edited:
I had a mechanical gremlin the other day hanging out in my engine bay. I later found him hanging out on my computer. ~~~ won’t leave me alone

gremlinra6.jpg

I later found him drinking my coffee and smoking my greens! I'm about to open a can of whoopass on this guy.

Hope you find yours before it's too late!

Back