Rear caliper differences 89-92 vs. 93-97

rzimmerl

I am doing the 4 corner Cobra brake swap and one of my rear calipers is not working properly so I am going to replace them both. Can I put the 93-97 rear calipers and brackets on my 90 with out any fitment issues? I know there is a chance of the piston coming out of the 89-92 rear calipers with the Cobra rotors.

I am doing the 4 corner Cobra brake swap and one of my rear calipers is not working properly so I am going to replace them both. Can I put the 93-97 rear calipers and brackets on my 90 with out any fitment issues? I know there is a chance of the piston coming out of the 89-92 rear calipers with the Cobra rotors.

I'm not entirely sure about the brake hoses, but since the knuckles are identical across all years, they'll bolt up fine.

Rock Auto has the 93-97s with bracket for $48, the 89-92s with bracket for $58 plus core charges and return shipping.

Did you ever change over to the 93+ rear brake calipers. I'm in a similar situation that you were in, I'm upgrading brakes don't want the pistons coming out of my 90 calipers (plus they need overhauled). Also, have you found any Hawk pads that will fit the rears or are we stuck using organics or semi-metallics?

I have EBC red stuff on the rear. They are the ceramic type. I figured with the small amount of braking the rear performs, the reduced friction of a ceramic pad would be negligible. The rear wheels also require almost no regular cleaning, relative to the front.

Brembo pads that I have in the front bite hard, cut the rotor quickly and are extremely dirty on the wheels.

I have EBC red stuff on the rear. They are the ceramic type. I figured with the small amount of braking the rear performs, the reduced friction of a ceramic pad would be negligible. The rear wheels also require almost no regular cleaning, relative to the front.

Brembo pads that I have in the front bite hard, cut the rotor quickly and are extremely dirty on the wheels.

Thanks...whats funny is if I buy a "LOADED" set of calipers from rock auto they come with pads etc and are $77 each. If I buy semi-loaded they don't come with pads and are $81, Both are raybestos brand. I'll get the loaded and just be done with it. haha

Yeah. I bought new rebuilt calipers myself. Not worth the risk when rebuilding a safety component myself the first time. For the price it's worth it. I had the brackets powder coated and its been holding up well.

Since I wasn't willing to take apart the caliper. There was some brush on stuff made for calipers I used, rather than the powdercoat. And it had good ratings, but not cheap. I believe it was G2 system. There are some rust spots poking through on there. I think it was because of the sealing oil residue on the caliper, that was stuck in the pores.

One last thing. If I recall correctly our rear calipers are the same as some cobra models. And I got the cobra pads. I could be wrong, this was about 3 years ago.

I did the caliper swap without any problems. Ended up using Advance Auto brand sliver rear pads after first installing ceramic pads and noticeably not feeling the rear pads bite

I did the caliper swap without any problems. Ended up using Advance Auto brand sliver rear pads after first installing ceramic pads and noticeably not feeling the rear pads bite

So are you using a 93+ rotor as well or are you using 11.65 rotors? I wasn't sure if you upgraded rotors or not.

Was using 93+ rotors, I have Cobra rotors on the shelf to install this year and the thickness of the rotors is comparable.

Back