PDA

View Full Version : Best low dollar SC mods, looking for experienced input

stormy69
03-09-2011, 10:50 PM
I have a 90 SC motor that i am building for a 72 pinto coupe (cardomain user stormy_69) that i intend to enter in the Grassroots Motorsports 2011 Challenge. My current plan is to port the heads and blower, short block looks good so i am leaving it alone. Would love a cam and a 94/5 blower/inlet, but they would need to be cheap to go in the budget. Will be porting the heads, intake and blower as well. Have late mustang headers currently but may end up building my own from scratch depending on clearance issues in the car.
Is there a cheap tbody, and maf that will work with the factory electronics? i have worked with eec iv plenty (fox mustangs) and am used to much toleration to mods on MAF cars....
I also plan to use some n2o, a 50 shot wet... anyone using a wet kit please pm me.

for those interested;
72 pinto coupe $100
90 SC motor, harness, maf, intercooler, computer $137
sold 1.6 kent pinto motor for $100
hope to sell sc exh manifolds and intercooler/tubes for cheap to recoup some money off the motor.

tia!
James
USAF!

XR7 Dave
03-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Get a bigger intercooler. Ebay for $75 shipped. Well worth it.

You can get a 75mm TB for about $100. Also worthwhile.

You need to put a cam in it. Porting heads, etc. is of minimal impact without a cam to go with it. Someone on here should have a used cam for sale. Stick with no more than .520" lift so that you can use the stock valves. You'll need upgraded springs too.

Don't bother making headers, stock manifolds or your Mustang headers will be more than sufficient.

You'll need bigger injectors. Try to find some 42's for cheap somewhere and watch ebay for a 76mm C&L or 75mm Pro M calibrated Cobra 30 or Mustang 24. You can use an adjustable regulator to dial in AFR if you need to.

That along with a ported 94 blower will get you all you need.

stormy69
03-10-2011, 12:05 AM
thanks dave,
i have some 42's and a mustang c&l for 24's, that will work? guess i gotta find a cam and some springs (rec's on springs?). good to know i dont need to bother with headers, hopefully the mustangs fit well

XR7 Dave
03-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Sorry, I was incorrect on that. You really need Cobra 33 or 34. There isn't a Mustang equivalent. However, I guess if you use the 24 you'll be about 10% rich. It will run ok but it will be real rich under boost until you run out of MAF headroom. You really should try to find a different MAF because even if you got a chip to correct the richness, you'll probably peg the MAF.

For tuning pick up a cheap wide band and an EEC tuner. EEC tuners are going around here for $50-100 since nobody wants them. You can get a wide band on Ebay for about $100. It would be better to do that than bother with an adjustable FPR.

stormy69
03-11-2011, 01:20 PM
i checked the maf i have, its a pro-m 77 for 24's...

what size blower pulley should i go with, gonna buy one of the easy swap jobs on ebay. exhaust will be dual 2.5 or single 3 through magnaflow race muff/s exiting in front of the rear tires depending how much room i have under the pinto... basically not much for exhaust lol

anybody have a 94/95 blower, a cam, a maf, and an eec tuner?

90turbo1
03-11-2011, 05:17 PM
awesome project dude, I often thought about throwing this motor into a 1st gen rx7 and seeing what it would do....

good luck on project and hope to see you in the magazine.

stormy69
03-12-2011, 10:18 PM
the short block is ready to go, gotta find a cam yet.... heads are clean and valves are reground and back cut. working on ports, bowls and chambers tomorrow...