Thinking of selling 1.7 ar

Superloop

I don't know guys; I think I might sale the AR I just bought from a fellow member not too long ago:( It seems that the more I read about using that blower; stuff I would have to upgrade keeps getting bigger everyday:rolleyes: It just seems like too much has to be done to make it perform properly and all these takes lots of money.
What do you guys think? should I keep it or get rid of it? What are all the mods(I mean ALL) that I would have to upgrade if I keep the ar? Thanks!
I have an 89 sc auto all stock

Tom has a good start on the list, I would add to that a valvebody to help the stock auto you have live a little longer

Yes, a stock bottom end will hold up to the AR, I'm making 440+ RWHP on a complete unknown mileage bottom end.

You guys kill me. :confused: :cool: :rolleyes:

Bolt the darn thing on and go. You need 60lb injectors and a tune.

Everything else is a bonus.

I agree, Dont chew more then you can or you will be discouraged. If you cannot do heads and stuff then Just bolt on the thing and put MAF a TB and Injectos. Slowly accumulate parts as you go along.
I thought the main issue was the short block needed work. A stock block is know to take 400whp for extended periods of time. Assuming its not a remanufactured piece from ford or jasper ect.

I agree with the trans valveboby. The stock trans can't handle the stock mill. I went through two transmissions in my first '90 just driving too and from Lawrence (Ks.) and Topeka in two years. The upgraded trans I have in my new '90 has a hard shift but it clearly handles the additional power where the stock unit turned itself into a three speed in a matter of months. Assuming you are going to push the gas pedal its something to consider.

They are right; it'll run. Consider longevity and you may want to budget for a set head gaskets, ARP head studs, motor mounts and a new AOD at some point in time.

Dave's right on this, just get it on there and you won't regret it.

I agree...Chris Z installed the same type of kit on a stock motor and made 300 rwhp with nothing more than bigger injectors and a tune. That's enough to run 12s :cool:

David

PS: I would also upgrade to a 255 hi pressure fuel pump.

Yup, I agree install the blower. You don't have to have every supporting mod just to install it. When you slowly get the supporting mods to maximize what that blower can produce, your car will respond really well to anything you decide to bolt on. throttlebody, headers, cam, etc.

I put the first 1.7L on a bone stock motor with just 42lb injectors and an upgraded fuel pump. Even had stock exhaust on it and made somewhere around 300rwhp. Drove the thing on Hot Rod Power Tour 2004 (about 4000mi road trip) and did plenty of burnouts along the way. I never worried about anything other than it went lean at 4800rpm due to insufficient injectors (hence the 60's required). Then I put it on my other car with heads/cam and made well over 400rwhp that way. After members here made me nervous claiming that the bottom end was on the verge of letting go, I took the motor all apart. Found absolutely nothing wrong with anything other than a couple vacuum leaks.

Of course that same blower is now sitting on a blown up stock shortblock, but that can happen to anybody. The blower itself doesn't blow up anything.

Don't be scared. :cool:

Tom has a good start on the list, I would add to that a valvebody to help the stock auto you have live a little longer

Yes, a stock bottom end will hold up to the AR, I'm making 440+ RWHP on a complete unknown mileage bottom end.

stock pistons and rods will hold over 440 HP??????

stock pistons and rods will hold over 440 HP??????

Yes it will. I was at the shootout last year with it, and there are other cars making 400+ on stock bottom ends also. Valvetrain has nothing to do with the amount of horsepower, its a requirement to run the camshaft and RPM range.

Guess you have never dropped a valve at 4k with stock cam and valve train. I know its just one of those things like Dave said.

Thanks guys for the support I guess I'll keep it. I was overthinking stuff.
I'm building a good engine with upgraded rods and pistons; will redo heads and install a cam; all these from DD, so everything should work well.:)
I get discouraged because It seems like it takes forever to get things done and I would like to drive the car; Im desperate;)

Back