Power steering eating belts....

Drummer

Well my water pump pulley was put on today with no issue..really. Got a brand new belt and put in on without incident. The car turned right over, no noise no thing. Got out to look at the engine and the belt was coming off just past the power steering pump. I would say about 2 ribs toward the front of the car. What could this be???

My only thought is the belt was not put on right on the PS, really easy to do.
I took tension off the belt and made sure every rib was were it was supposed thinking the same thing. "Maybe I just missed a rib and it progressively worked its way off". Not the case. Still ALMOST ate belt #3 in that particular belt. Also, seems like the pulley moves a bit back and front.

The jack legs sold me the wrong belt. I got on the Autozone site and got the part number off the box it came in. The Autozone site said it would not fit my car. I asked the wing-nut 3 or 4 times was she sure this was the right belt. Her reply was yes every time. The part number was off 1 number and the belt actually went to a Ford F-250. Are these people brain dead or do I need to ask on this site about every thing I need to get? My god...... Half the time I feel like I should ask, on this site, about proper hand positioning on the wheel and proper foot alignment on the pedals so I don't screw something up. LOL

Just remembered if you didn't use a approved belt installation tool it won't stay on either.:D

drummer, i have had enough issues with parts stores that i usually look in there computers myself now. i have found that there system is very flawed. many parts in there for our SC really is not for our car. that was 50% of your problem. the other 50% was you went to a female for technical information. not to be or even sound like a sexist, just using facts, females are generally horrible at technical and mechanical skills and have a tendency to lack the physical ability aswell. due to affirmative action employers have no choice but to hire them in positions that they are really not qualified for. this is in most cases but not all. i have found some females that do very well but thats very few times.

so in reply to your comment of having to ask everything on this forum, well yes. for most everything i recommend using the search and or posting a thread before going forth with any actions of which had been explained to you by people that havent the slightest clue about our cars. on the mn12 platform alone most people in here have 10+ years with these cars. some people up to 20years. so you will find its very very rare to get a wrong answer from most in this forum.

im sorry you had problems, but next time just ask. i have a nice heated garage that i would have been happy to walk right up and get the part number off of the belt for you. and im sure there are many others here that would do the same.
also after burning belts(if it got hot at all) sometimes you will get some belt carbon filled in the grooves of your pulleys, you might want to check them to make sure they are clean or you could ruin your new belt.

drummer, i have had enough issues with parts stores that i usually look in there computers myself now. i have found that there system is very flawed. many parts in there for our SC really is not for our car. that was 50% of your problem. the other 50% was you went to a female for technical information. not to be or even sound like a sexist, just using facts, females are generally horrible at technical and mechanical skills and have a tendency to lack the physical ability aswell. due to affirmative action employers have no choice but to hire them in positions that they are really not qualified for. this is in most cases but not all. i have found some females that do very well but thats very few times.

so in reply to your comment of having to ask everything on this forum, well yes. for most everything i recommend using the search and or posting a thread before going forth with any actions of which had been explained to you by people that havent the slightest clue about our cars. on the mn12 platform alone most people in here have 10+ years with these cars. some people up to 20years. so you will find its very very rare to get a wrong answer from most in this forum.

im sorry you had problems, but next time just ask. i have a nice heated garage that i would have been happy to walk right up and get the part number off of the belt for you. and im sure there are many others here that would do the same.
also after burning belts(if it got hot at all) sometimes you will get some belt carbon filled in the grooves of your pulleys, you might want to check them to make sure they are clean or you could ruin your new belt.
Thank you sir. I USUALLY do look here first. Believe me. Been burned a couple of times but believe I have learned my lesson. I feel at times as though the SC is the bastard child of the automotive community or the red headed step child. The belt I got was the Duralast one and didn't find any part numbers for that belt on the forum. Believe me, I always look first. 900K8 is the REAL part number for what I was trying to get. The 20 something Hispanic female actually argued with me about this when I went back to get the right belt.

Back