PDA

View Full Version : What rods/pistons to get?

JC316
03-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Well, I have started the tear down of my 92 3.8L SC engine after a stethoscope on the oil pan revealed the location of my knock. It's either a rod or a busted piston, so I am going in for a full rebuild. If my rods are toast, what kind can I get to replace them? Are they the same as a normal 3.8L car? Same question applies to pistons.

Regul8r
03-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Well, I have started the tear down of my 92 3.8L SC engine after a stethoscope on the oil pan revealed the location of my knock. It's either a rod or a busted piston, so I am going in for a full rebuild. If my rods are toast, what kind can I get to replace them? Are they the same as a normal 3.8L car? Same question applies to pistons.

94/95 rods, they are full floater rods.
Pistons... Send DD an e-mail.

fturner
03-12-2011, 11:56 AM
If you are going for the 94/95 rods, you need to get them from an SC motor, not the N/A motor.... so yes, there is a difference.... the SC ones are forged.

Fraser

Regul8r
03-12-2011, 12:09 PM
If you are going for the 94/95 rods, you need to get them from an SC motor, not the N/A motor.... so yes, there is a difference.... the SC ones are forged.

Fraser

Yup what he said! sorry I didn't clarify that.

JC316
03-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Ok, so just to clarify here. The 89-93 rods are the exact same as the N/A 3.8L found in pretty much every ford car? The 94-95 are forged rods? If I were to find aftermarket rods for the N/A 3.8L, would they fit the SC 3.8L?

XR7 Dave
03-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Ok, so just to clarify here. The 89-93 rods are the exact same as the N/A 3.8L found in pretty much every ford car? The 94-95 are forged rods? If I were to find aftermarket rods for the N/A 3.8L, would they fit the SC 3.8L?

No, people are not being clear enough.

SC rods are all forged. Most NA rods are not forged. Some are such as certain applications in the Taurus as far as I know. However, it is going to be a bit of a hunt trying to figure out what and from where.

Suggestion is that there is no reason not to use SC rods. They are plentiful (when I get more than 8 or so sets I start tossing them out). Just make sure they aren't bent. A forged rod will bend where a cast rod would have broken. Lots of SC's bend connecting rods. In fact a bent connecting rod might be why you have piston noise right now. It's very common.

The 94/5 rods are stronger (a better forging) and have bushings for floating pins. 89-93 rods are press fit.

Pistons are slightly different compression ratio's for early vs. late, but aftermarket pistons run all the same. Sealed Power offers a hyperutectic replacement for about $300 (with rings) and Wiseco offers a forged severe duty replacement for $450 (also with rings).

The 94/5 rods with the Wiseco pistons is considered the best setup unless you go to aftermarket rods and a custom rotating assembly.

Hope that clears it up for you.

JC316
03-12-2011, 07:34 PM

SC rods are all forged. Most NA rods are not forged. Some are such as certain applications in the Taurus as far as I know. However, it is going to be a bit of a hunt trying to figure out what and from where.

Suggestion is that there is no reason not to use SC rods. They are plentiful (when I get more than 8 or so sets I start tossing them out). Just make sure they aren't bent. A forged rod will bend where a cast rod would have broken. Lots of SC's bend connecting rods. In fact a bent connecting rod might be why you have piston noise right now. It's very common.

The 94/5 rods are stronger (a better forging) and have bushings for floating pins. 89-93 rods are press fit.

Pistons are slightly different compression ratio's for early vs. late, but aftermarket pistons run all the same. Sealed Power offers a hyperutectic replacement for about $300 (with rings) and Wiseco offers a forged severe duty replacement for $450 (also with rings).

The 94/5 rods with the Wiseco pistons is considered the best setup unless you go to aftermarket rods and a custom rotating assembly.

Yes, that makes things perfectly clear. Thanks for that. I may wind up looking for a set of rods on here, won't know till I get everything out and on a stand.

Regul8r
03-12-2011, 10:12 PM

All hail the Wizzard of Whoosh!

Dave you are DA MAN!

BTW... DD I snet you an e-mail on more parts for my motor.

Regul8r
03-12-2011, 10:53 PM
double post sorry